mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#136552 29/11/05 10:13 PM
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
Did it never occur to Khaled to make something like a standalone mirc scripting engine? Like something that would run in the background and just ran the scripts without mirc. There are loads and loads of little (and sometimes not so little) programs that could be written in mirc scripting and would run just great. I know about the speed issues, but ms is not that slow and for simple stuff it could just be great. And with all the tutorials, the great help file, the millions of examples of codes, it would be easy for someone to pick up.

Well this is just something that I saw mentioned on mircscripting.org but I had alreary thought of it, but dismissed it, but now it doesn't seem like such a bad thing wink

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
You can do it, just make your small program, and then disable all of the mirc irc functionality, remove the menu bar etc etc, and a few events and it cant do much of anything but what its ment to do. ON INPUT is a good one, if they manage to get to somwhere, if they type something it resets the program to some default status. also ON CONNECT {disconenct & reset etc }

I have done this once or twice for some very small and/or wierd reasons, normally to do with a win98 machine i nneded to do something on, I use .NET most of the rest of the time, and honestly dont even know if .NET framework can be loaded on 98, and if it can didnt want the over head just to get some small thing dealt with. I wouldnt however use it as a general purpose application backbone (especially as the mirc reg screen pops up when its started LOL)

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
i once did it for a schoolproject having it check the difference between 2 AIDA html files for 2 different inventarisations on a pc and insert the result in a ACCESS db, Earned me a alot of extra credit!

Mircscripting pointless hah!.

EDIT:No reply to anyone really.

$maybe
V
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
I started a small 'mirc-like' compiler for a school project. It works like JAVA, that means the "mirc script" is compiled into a bytecode and runned by a Virtual Machine. You can see a screenshot here:

I first named this project 'mIRC-C' (for mIRC Compiler), but I decided to change the name by respect for Khaled's work. (Don't know the new name for now)

I plan on adding features that mIRC supports (like dialogs, sockets, picwin and stuff) but I don't know if I will have the time and motivation.

Currently, it is working great and is like 10 times faster than mIRC scripting engine. If I ever manage to finish this, it will be free and opensource

T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
as good as the idea is, converting mIRC scripting to a compiled language (machine code or interpreted) is not a real good idea.

First of all, the language is based around identifiers and events, an alias is a minor part.

Most of it is dealing with and manipulating events that are recieved from the servers, such as on <event> type events. You are better off using another language more suited.

Lastly, most of these scripts you would be using outside of mIRC most likely have events that are specific to data coming from another person. Most of the scripts I see aren't ment for same user input. Dialogs are an exception.

Even if it did occur to Khaled to actually write a compiler/interpreter for it, most likely he stopped thinking about it because it was originally ment for his IRC client, not general scripting.

V
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Well, you just have to remove the IRC related identifiers and commands, it's simple as that :P

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
Well, you just have to remove the IRC related identifiers and commands, it's simple as that :P

Well, yes - it can be as simple as that - but if you remove the IRC related identifiers and commands, what do you have left?

You might as well write a BASIC-ish interpreter or a C- compiler if you want the exercise!

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
V
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Whats left? Everything!

You can do almost everything with mIRC, and most of the time it is simplier than in BASIC or C. Also, there is already plenty of Basic and C compiler, but there is absolutely 0 mIRC-like compiler

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
Whats left? Everything!
... most of the time it is simplier than in BASIC or C....

If you take out the IRC-related stuff (let's see - $nick, $chan, ON: events etc etc ) - you will then try and tell me that everything is left (i.e. you have taken out nothing)?

And, while C can be tricky to learn, you cannot persuade me that mIRC scripting is easier than BASIC! If it was, then this forum would not be as well populated, nor would there be as many questions about some of the fundamentals as there are!

There isa good reason there is not a stand-alone mIRC-script compiler - but perhaps I might leave that for you to work out.

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!

Link Copied to Clipboard