mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
A
Ive tried like 10 different servers from efnet to gamesnet and i cant to connect to any server at all. i always get a Unable to Resolve Server msg. I checked the sticky but could not find any help. Help Please.

Im using a broadband connection which is behind a firewall, but thats all i know.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I had the problem when I first started using Windows XP ...I just disabled the firewall and installed Zonealarm Pro and I haven't had any problems since.

X
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
X
just disable The firewall taht comes with xp, zone alarm is not needed for mirc to work on Windows XP.

;Check for Life

if (%life == $null) {
goto getlife
}
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You're right about that...I forgot to mention the fact that since I was running without a firewall I used Zonealarm Pro...That had nothing to do with mIRC just my personal choice to use it. Since it doesn't interfere with mIRC too much I should have made it much clearer.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
did you try to connect each time using random instead of a specific server? did you try connecting to the numerical rather than the alpha for a server?
example to type in your status window in mIRC:
first try the alpha: /server b0rk.uk.quakenet.org
if that gives you the cant resolve error, then try the numerical for the same server: /server 213.221.165.248

as to the replies from others, sounds like the firewall is at your provider and not on your machine? altho if you use winxp, then you also have that firewall.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
to clarify further, you dont HAVE to use xp's firewall or za or any firewall with mIRC if you dont want (altho i wouldnt run mIRC without my trusty lil za) but if you try to run both winxp firewall AND za/any other firewall at the same time, i could see probs arising.

Which makes me wonder... to the original poster: in mIRC, file/options/connect/firewall, be sure you have that set to NONE ( if it has something else and it wont show you none, put the cursor there and use your up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to find it)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Yes you are right as well you don't have to run it with mIRC at all (course I too prefer to run my trusty ZA as well) Also i forgot to mention the latter by running two firewalls and mIRC...I assumed that was common knowledge. (Its been proven Im a shining example that assumption is the mother of all ***k ups) ah well thank for pointing out what i didnt

Link Copied to Clipboard