mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
B
The irc:// format does not take me to mIrc. It opens my browser window and says "cannot find server".

WinXP and IE6 with SP2.

Worked fine until I upgraded.

Thanks

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
When mIRC is closed I type <a href="irc://some.server.name" target="_blank">irc://some.server.name</a> into my browser (IE 6) and mIRC opens and then connects to that server with no problems.

Windows XP - Home SP2 (mIRC 6.16)

-Andy

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Options
IRC > Catcher > Chat links: [] Enable support (check)

That can be maybe the cause?

echo -a $signature
B
OP Offline
B
SladeCraven...

My browser does NOT open when I type <a href="irc://some.server.name" target="_blank">irc://some.server.name</a> into IE6. I'm afraid the issue is in the browser, not mIRC.

Last edited by BlindActions; 10/11/05 01:29 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
Brax...

I already support enabled. None of my settings in mIRC have changed, but IE6 has been upgraded to the latest SP, since upgrading XP to SP2. I believe the issue lies within IE6 and not mIRC.

I've gone to "http://www.mirc-help.de/help/oldmirclink.html" and tried to configure IE6 the way it is instructed...

Open Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer, and select "View/Folder Options/"..
Select the "File Types" tab.
Choose the "Chat" file type, and "Edit" it, as follows:
Description: Chat Files
File Extension: chat cha
MIME Type: application/x-chat
Set it to OPEN the Application: c:\mirc\mirc32.exe
Back out all the way using the "Close" or "Okay" buttons - now if you click the link again, either mirc will be started, or, if it's already running, the current copy will be logged onto the linked server/channel. Have fun!

First of all, under "View", there are no "Folder Options".

I CAN find file types under "Tools", "Folder Options". When I do chose the file type, there is no edit option. I can select "Change" and select mIRC to open that "extension". The trouble is... it is looking for a file ending wit ".chat" (as in .HTML), to open.

I need an up to date way to configure IE6 to open <a href="irc:///." target="_blank">irc:///.</a>

Thanks

Last edited by BlindActions; 10/11/05 01:57 PM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I think what you're actually looking for, isn't CHAT but URL: IRC protocol.

B
OP Offline
B
RusselB

I couldn't find a file called "URL: IRC protocol", so I created one and pointed it to mIRC. Nothing changed.

Thanks for your suggestion. I can't believe I'm the only one that this has happened to.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
For what it's worth, mine are called URL:IRC protocol (not URL: IRC protocol) no space.
Then you have to go into Advanced and add a "new" action (open) and tell it what to open them with.

B
OP Offline
B
CtrlAltDel
It won't let me add anything with a space and when I try it without the space and configure it to "open" with mIRC, it still doesn't work. (URL:IRCprotocol)

Last edited by BlindActions; 11/11/05 06:24 PM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Here's a screen shot showing the line that I'm talking about. If you installed mIRC properly, then this line should already exist.

B
OP Offline
B
I do not have that line, nor do I have "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc" in my registry. I'm told that mIRC should creat these items when installing. Yet, even after uninstalling, cleaning the registry and reinstalling, it still doesn't modify IE. I even loggged on as Administrator and tried it. No change! confused

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Are you running something like Spybot Search & Destroy or Ad-Aware? Both of them (new versions) have a program that can be run in the background to block changes to the registry and to your browser. Even if you're not using those ones, that could very well be your problem. Check any sort of antivirus or trojan removal or similar software.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard