mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#133915 26/10/05 10:53 PM
V
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
V
Ever notice that when someone writes a long block of text it gets cut off somewhere around 437 characters on the recieving end? Why was that never fixed? It doesn't cut off on the sender's end or tell them their message was cut off. Rather annoying, in my opinion. I mean, if it's some damn anti-flood feature, it should at least tell the other person their message to you was cut off.

(and yes, I'm using the most recent version -- 6.16)

#133916 26/10/05 11:08 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
This isn't a mIRC bug, it's due to the limit imposed by the IRC protocol. According to the protocol a message to the server can only be 512 characters long. Those 512 characters include all the message information such as the target (the channel/nick you're speaking to) aswell as your own nickname, username and hostname plus a few other bits of text. On average this leaves around 430 characters free for the actual message. Presumably mIRC doesn't enforce or warn that you've exceeded this limit when you send a message because there are so many varying implementations of the IRC protocol in use that there could well be many servers that do not impose this limit. Of course on receiving the message it can't do anything either because as far as mIRC knows nothing has been cut off - it's all done by the server.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#133917 26/10/05 11:22 PM
V
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
V
Quote:
This isn't a mIRC bug, it's due to the limit imposed by the IRC protocol. According to the protocol a message to the server can only be 512 characters long. Those 512 characters include all the message information such as the target (the channel/nick you're speaking to) aswell as your own nickname, username and hostname plus a few other bits of text. On average this leaves around 430 characters free for the actual message. Presumably mIRC doesn't enforce or warn that you've exceeded this limit when you send a message because there are so many varying implementations of the IRC protocol in use that there could well be many servers that do not impose this limit. Of course on receiving the message it can't do anything either because as far as mIRC knows nothing has been cut off - it's all done by the server.

Then mIRC should automaticly split lines at like 400 characters to prevent this problem.

Last edited by Viper187; 26/10/05 11:25 PM.
#133918 27/10/05 01:59 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Make sure your speakers are on, if your typing and your message becomes too long you will hear a 'ding' sound. On EVERY typed charactor, its unmissable.

As far as copy pasting goes, you will hear the same ding if a message too large is pasting (even when it is auto sent due to lb's and/or multiple paragraphs etc). I think the ding indicating a message that may be too long is enough on the senders side. As far as the recievers side goes, mirc will never know as the message is cut off at the server side, but common sense would tell them if what they are reading ends abruptyly i'd think.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
#133919 27/10/05 12:58 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The "dings" work well for most networks, but some networks have an even lower limit on characters per line, so the ding doesn't really help on those networks.

There *are* scripts out there that will automatically split your lines of text onto two or more lines if they're too long. Of course, you could just not be so long-winded. laugh

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#133920 18/11/05 08:01 PM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Maybe mIRC (or a script) could send a test message to itself on connect to test the message limit.

Just a thought..

-genius_at_work

#133921 18/11/05 08:04 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I was thinking this was part of the connection information, but perhaps I'm wrong. I've never bothered looking closely at stuff like max nick length and such that is in that section. I'm not sure if there is anything about line length there. It's worth checking.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#133922 18/11/05 11:39 PM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
The server I'm on doesn't report maximum line length.

*** MAP KNOCK SAFELIST HCN WATCH=128 SILENCE=5 MODES=13 MAXCHANNELS=25 MAXBANS=120 NICKLEN=30 TOPICLEN=307 KICKLEN=307 CHANTYPES=# PREFIX=(ohv)@%+ are supported by this server

Maybe other servers do.

-genius_at_work

#133923 19/11/05 12:21 AM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Here is a code snippet that should let you know the maximum message length for each server you are on.

Code:
on *:CONNECT:.msg $me $+(MLT-,$str(º,512))
on me:^*:TEXT:MLT-º*:?:{ set $+(%,MCL.,$cid) $len($rawmsg) | haltdef }
on *:DISCONNECT:unset $+(%,MCL.,$cid)
alias maxchars return $iif($($+(%,MCL.,$cid),2),$ifmatch,512)

On connect, the script sends itself a string of roughly 512 characters. Then, when it receives that message back, it measures the $len of the $rawmsg (to include all characters in the RAW). The information is stored based on the $cid of each connection. The data can be retieved using the $maxchars identifier, which automatically returns the information for the current $cid. When you disconnect, the information for that $cid is unset.

-genius_at_work

Link Copied to Clipboard