mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
O
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
O
hey , it is possible that i cant d/l diffrent items from diffrent channels??? when i d/l 1 item the secend from somwhere else cant start ?? how can i fix this?????

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
mIRC is for chatting, not downloading files.

If you need to download files, try using an FTP program.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As a note, some router settings prevent downloading (or sending) using the same port for more than one connection at a time.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I think you well find that its windows that doesnt let you use one port to dl/send multiple at the same time, actually not even windows just shear fact that each ports for one connection, so it cant be conencted for multiple files. (at least in mirc)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hm? I've downloaded and uploaded often using a single port. I've had many people asking about that in another forum who then got it fixed by changing their router settings. It might have been a NAT setting, now that I think of it.

Also, consider how many connections you have on IRC to port 6667 or to websites on port 80 at the same time. You can socket multiple sites on port 80 at the same time without an issue, as an example.

That said, there is a limit that SP2 in Windows XP does impose (it's something like 10, I think). It's meant to prevent viruses from spreading as badly. However, you can change that to a larger number with various patches that are available.

Invision Support
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
Hm? I've downloaded and uploaded often using a single port.

I bet you havent (with mirc), you might think you did but u used a seperate port for each one. identical remote ends port is irrelevent.

Quote:
I've had many people asking about that in another forum who then got it fixed by changing their router settings. It might have been a NAT setting, now that I think of it.

More likely you mean a NAPT setting, in which a port used is routered to another port value, thus miss guiding some into believing the same port was in use, mirc well not use the same port number for two sends or gets, so even then the ports would still remain different. alot of NAPT settings well shift port values up to around 50,000. This is done correctly well be transparent to mirc as the router shifts them back down when forwarding on to the pc, such as a send goes like this, assume port sending on is 1234

>>> sender -> MSG recivever dcc send filename IP 1234 filesize -> Router -> MSG recivever dcc send filename IP 50109 filesize -> irc server -> reciver
>>> reciver -> socket connects to [email:IP@port50109]IP@port50109[/email] -> router -> socketconnect to [email:PC@port1234]PC@port1234[/email]

* However in most routers this fails when a resume is requested, as the irc resume message trail looks like this,

>>> sender -> MSG recivever dcc send filename IP 1234 filesize -> Router -> MSG recivever dcc send filename IP 50109 filesize -> irc server -> reciver
>>> reciver -> MSG sender dcc resume "file" 50109 position -> irc server -> router -> sender *** sender rejects as no send on port 50109 ***

Essentially most routers dont intercept a dcc resume message correctly or at all.

Quote:
Also, consider how many connections you have on IRC to port 6667

Interesting point, im not sure how this is achived at the irc servers end, its either a queued system based on ip's or its simply routed your connection to another IP, i think its the first since a irc server polls you to see if your still there rather than keeps an active connection alive, in fact under tcp/ip i dont really know if there is a "real" alive connection, its all just packets being sent, so you can receive packets from many ip's on one port but those packets have to make sence to what ever software is using that port, mirc expects a stream of data to be recieved if its opened a port to the sender, and i also beleive it well simply ignore any other data from anyone but the IP it conencted to on that port. Same as the sender just sits there and waits for the "receiver" to connect to it on what ever port it said it well send the file on, as a side note you well notice i put "" around reciever, as the person who gets the file nned not actuially be the reciever, any mirc can be made to recieve a file from someone who is attempting to send it, it would/is just simply a matter of knowing what IP and port to attempt a GET file to. You can even with the right script have USER1 on NETWORK1 send u a file, and you "forward" that send attempt to USER2 on NETWORK2, who gets the file dcc direct from USER1 (user1 does however think its u getting the file, as he knows no better who is connected to his Ip on the speced port)

Quote:
or to websites on port 80 at the same time. You can socket multiple sites on port 80 at the same time without an issue, as an example.

your missed the point here, your not using 80 your contacting there 80 port, and websites can accept multiple into there 80 becuase they simply recieve the request and reply to it, and thats the end of the connection, even the "stay alive connections" are really just repeated sends to the server to say ya still around.

Quote:
That said, there is a limit that SP2 in Windows XP does impose (it's something like 10, I think). It's meant to prevent viruses from spreading as badly. However, you can change that to a larger number with various patches that are available.

Damn never heard of that, is it xp home or xp in general, I use server far more than workstation so dont often encounter wierd limitaions imposed on workstation os's.

*** lol just read back all this, sorry for all the rambling ***

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hm... Well, I've tried with setting mIRC to use only port 1024 and I don't have any form of router, yet it will send multiple things at the same time. confused

Your description of the NAPT sounds just like what I was told about routers having issues resuming, so that's definitely what I was thinking of.

Ok, I looked up the limit information. It's regarding the number of connections per second. I thought it was overall. It's for SP2 and is for both Home and Pro versions. Anyhow, here's a link I found about it:
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard