mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
ssj Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
I have no idea what is going on. I noticed the when I started my computer that it said mirc was loading up then the box went away. I went into my control panel to remove the irc program but it said I must exit mirc before i can remove the program. I have never used Mirc and there is no icon or Mirc program in my list of programs. Please help!!

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
By far the most likely explanation is that you have a trojan (a type of virus) that is launching mIRC when you start up your computer. mIRC then connects a drone to an IRC network which then can be used later by an lame abusive user to attack websites/users/companies/etc. Basically, using your computer to attack others.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and terminate mirc.exe if you see it, also check the Processes list.

Scan your computer with a good Antivirus/trojan cleaner, examples can be found in this thread. Use more than one, no one virus scanner can detect everything.

Make sure that you don't download files if you don't know what they do, visit websites that aren't trusted or unknown to you, or open email attachments you get in emails from unknown senders.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
ssj Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
I have looked In my task Manager and there is no instance of mIRC running. I have also ran Norton and Spybot and there are not Trojans or viruses detected. As for looking in my processes which process would I be looking for???? mirc.exe?? if that is the case , that is not in my list of processes either. Any assistance would be great. Thank you in advance

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
Just a long shot, try doing a search for mIRC, look in all files and folders, hidden files. This may take a while to run be patient.
the search feature can be found in the start menu.

TeeJay

Link Copied to Clipboard