mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#129272 04/09/05 11:40 AM
P
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Why was the $decode/$encode identifiers created?
Tto infect users with viruses??

chadchoud @ DALnet
#129273 04/09/05 11:54 AM
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
To remind people that they deserve to be infected if they run any commands coming from strangers.

Actually, MIME and UUencode are used in a number of internet applications, and as such it is a nice service for scripters who might need it sometime. Yes, it can be scripted too, although it's not trivial.

#129274 04/09/05 01:45 PM
P
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Okay I agree with you, but some people are newbies and doesn't know the risk of writing those commands, they are convinced to do this. (like you are infected with a virus: type this command)

chadchoud @ DALnet
#129275 04/09/05 02:08 PM
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Yes, I've been thinking about some sort of internet drivers permit too, where you first need to take lessons and then do a theoretical and practical exam and only then you're allowed to be on the internet. However, many people find it unfeasible frown crazy

#129276 04/09/05 04:29 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I don't think you'll find anything inside mIRC was created to infect users with viruses. I guess Internet Explorer, and all other browsers, should disable their ability to download files. ActiveX and JavaScript should also be banished from the Internet, aswell as...well, actually, let's just ban the Internet!

The Internet, and IRC along with it, is not a safe place for computers. The real world isn't safe because people like to break the law, and the cyberworld is no different - people are assholes, and they think being assholes is the best thing since sliced bread. This is said over and over again, both generally and with details. If people cannot be bothered to read then God knows why they're using IRC. Look at the amount of people who think mIRC/IRC are the same thing - if they even bothered to read the big yellow box on the front page of this website, they would see mIRC/IRC are two different things. They don't even read that!

I've seen a number of scripts use $decode, sometimes for script-to-script talkers, or just for general fun. Even had a serious use for it once ^_^

Kelder: It is unfeasible - but, oh to dream! grin

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard