mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#129217 03/09/05 01:25 PM
K
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
K
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I fit it best I could.

Anyways, I think it would totally rock if some sort of "what's to come in the next version" section was incorporated into the website. It needn't be fancy or entirely accurate since it's just a "teaser" anyway.

Perhaps list a few new cool commands, screenshots .. or perhaps a new look. Anything to whet our expectations. mIRC remains one of the only applications I use that doesn't do this form of promotion.

It's been more than a year (14 months if I was counting) since the last upgrade and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about the next version.

kind regards,

--

katsklaw
Rather experienced Admin
Rather experienced mIRC Scripter
Amateur C Coder
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This is unlikely to happen, Khaled does not divulge with us what will be in the next version, though there have been the occasional "I am working on this" comments (i.e. UTF8). Please read this thread.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
K
It's a pity that such simplistic communications are not inplace.

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. ciao.

--

katsklaw
Rather experienced Admin
Amateur C Coder
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Totally agree with you.
And more, this is a paid program (yes, there are a lof of ppl that doesnt pay) and I know that alot of ppl would be very pleased to see only a few more communication.
Yes, Khaled works and study, but we just wanna a little new. Nobody know when mIRC will be released, nobody know 2,3,4 features that will be in the next version, nobody know if mIRC 6.2 will be released until World Cup 2010.
We would be lovely pleased if we had only a few more comunication.
Regards.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The problem with offering that information is it causes an increased number of people bugging him and, well, us, about when it will be out. People are not patient. If there is no word on what's upcoming, they still are impatient and asking when it will be out all the time. If they KNOW what will be on it and it happens to be something they really want, then they are even MORE impatient and just become a real nuissance. From a developer's standpoint (from scripting to serious programming), it is very annoying to have people constantly asking you for a release date. And, if you end up offering them a date and can't complete by then, then they are mad at you and become even more impatient.

It's just not worth it to do that, even if it would be nice. If we don't know the upcoming features, we won't sit here wishing it would be out soon because we really want/need the feature(s) that are coming out.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Yes, people are not patient.
But after 15 months with no news and no new version, is not fair ask "what is going on"? Is Khaled alive?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Other than with fixing serious bugs and security issues, I don't think mIRC ever had versions coming out all that quickly. I've not taken time to go look, so it's possible I'm wrong about that.

Look at it this way... completely ignoring that Khaled has school and other things that are more important, would you rather have a lot of really small updates at about one a month or whatever that don't really add much and are too small to add the big feature requests? Or would you rather have large updates that add a lot and also add the bigger features that take time to implement, and have those happen about once a year or so?

Invision Support
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
You are a wise man Raimus2... I totally agree.

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
K
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
K
Well I hate to sound impersonal or uncaring however every "occupation" has pros and cons. Being the author of a popular program, regardless of if it's mIRC or any other program. You have to deal with the cons as well as the pros.

This is called an "occupational hazard" you don't expect a fireman to say "i'm not going into that burning house because I might get burned". The fireman accepts the risks to do the job. Just as a company should do things they don't like such as fielding paying users questions or hire a sales team to do it for them. It's all part of the "job". Lack of attention to your paying users is just rude. I got every question answered before I payed for mIRC. I don't see why a few very reasonable questions can't be answered afterwards. I also don't see taking 5-10 minutes a year and post a few blerbs of info on a website as overly time consuming especially when we are talking about 1 release every 12-18 months.

I don't care if it's a public "to-do" list or any form of organized notes. I'd even settle for a to-do list being shipped with mIRC .. anything is better than nothing. I can't fathom any serious programmer without some sort of organized list of things he/she like to do next. I even do that simple task and I'm just the casual scripter that only releases 1% of my work let alone the author of the most popular IRC client for Windows.

As a Network Admin I'm expected to give alot of support, that's part of the joys of being a net admin and not 1 user pays me. No law requires me to do it nor does any RFC yet if I don't my users may go elsewhere for it because I'm not tending to their needs. I will admit that in the past 9 years i've emailed Khaled 2-3 times and I have received prompt friendly replies. I'd like him to do that here and reply to this post. I don't expect a group of volunteer supporters to handle this request. I would like someone from mIRC to answer though.

I'm not asking for something to be created from scratch, just asking something simple that should already exist.

As a side note, if you are so annoyed about people asking you questions, choose a different occupation ..

--

katsklaw
Rather experienced Admin
Amateur C Coder
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
To the best of my knowledge, no one that replies to posts on this, or any other, forum are paid to do so. We do so, simply to help others by FREELY sharing our knowledge.

Quote:
As a side note, if you are so annoyed about people asking you questions, choose a different occupation ..

If this was our occupation, then you might have a point, however, it is not.

K
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
K
My statement was aimed at this statement:

"From a developer's standpoint (from scripting to serious programming), it is very annoying to have people constantly asking you for a release date."

You did not make that statement .. therefore my statement was not aimed at you or anyone else. I too support mIRC freely and have done so for years. My support is done 1 on 1 and/or on IRC but done none the less.

However, it still applies to everyone including myself. Whether you get paid or not .. if you find that supporting users is annoying .. then don't do it. If you get paid for your programs and don't answer questions becaused you find them annoying .. then don't expect to sell much.

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, no one that replies to posts on this, or any other, forum are paid to do so.

Khaled gets paid. It may not be specifically for posting on this forum, but he gets paid none the less. I gave my money to mIRC. Which last I checked was owned by Khaled who is also the owner of this forum.

--

katsklaw
Rather experienced Admin
Amateur C Coder
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Khaled is paid for his program. He actually offers very little in the way of support. And support is not a required addition to every single thing you make/sell.

As you said, you have gotten a lot of help before you ever paid. Many companies will not offer any help without first paying. Be happy you can get such help here. For that matter, be happy there IS help here. If there weren't volunteers doing this, there wouldn't be any support. smile

Besides all that, telling you a release date isn't SUPPORT. Telling you upcoming features isn't SUPPORT. Support is helping people... neither of those is to help people. I can pretty much guarantee you that there will not be such an addition on the website.

Oh, and your analogy of a fireman isn't a very good analogy. Yes, hearing people asking you for release dates and upcoming features is an "occupational hazzard," just as getting burned would be for a fireman. And, just like a fireman doesn't go out and try to get burned, Khaled doesn't need to go out and try to answer those questions. He has to put up with the "hazzard", but can stay clear of it as much as possible, just as a fireman would with being burned. A fireman's job is to rescue people and put out fires. Khaled's job is to write the program and release it, find bugs, fix them, etc. A fireman's job isn't to get burned and Khaled's job isn't to offer such answers. If you want to use an analogy, make sure it fits. Yours just proved the opposite that you wanted. laugh

Invision Support
K
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
K
Actually since I am a firefighter I know what their job is .. and you have it mostly wrong.

1> Their main concern is to contain the fire, as in to stop it from spreading. In some cases they will put water on building around the burning one instead of directly putting out the fire.

2> in many places firefighters don't rescue victims, that is the job of the rescue team. Yes, they are qualified to rescue and do so on many occasions, but it's not a primary mission.

3> I "dummied" up the job of fireman because most people don't know what their priorities are and getting technical as you tried to do is nothing more than trying to find flaws in my request.

So before you criticize someones anagolgies .. make sure you know what your talking about.

Quote:

As you said, you have gotten a lot of help before you ever paid.

You should re-read my post .. I never once said " I got alot of help" I said "I got all my questions answered" and there is a huge difference.

But it's all a moot point as far as I'm concerned .. I've decided to switch to Klient (another client I've paid for) At least Tom will answer me.

For those that think I'm switching just because of this thread .. you'd be wrong. My frustrations with mIRC have been mounting for the last 9 years. Repeatedly scripters and loyal users have requested very simple features or certain things to be fixed/changed such as /list outputting the whole list instead of having to resort to /quote list on some occasions and stop stripping the extra spaces .. some of us want the extra spaces .. in fact some want it so badly they hacked mIRC to get info to write a dll that would stop the spaces from being stripped. Many scripters have switched because of such requests being ignored for years. Well I'm done .. add my name to the list of switchers.

--

katsklaw
Rather experienced Admin
Amateur C Coder
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Your name has been added:

1. codemastr
2. katsklaw

See you around smile

P.S. Locked. Stupid thread, pointless arrogant messages trying to be cleverer than the last poster.

Regards,

Link Copied to Clipboard