mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
hi guys im new to this....but i have a chatroom on dalnet but i wont say its name.And i was just wondering whats the secret to a good chatroom??

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
In an ideal world a half decent chatroom would use some of the following rules.

[*] Make sure there's no excessive capitals as it's considered shouting.
[*] If it's a room for under 18's then make sure by a certain time they're asked to leave incase there's profanity. Or just make sure there's no bad language at all.
[*]Make sure there's no excessive chat (flooding).
[*]Treat each user equally and not unfairly, that way you'll get regulars.
[*]Pick your operators wisely, we don't want to have ban scripts going off at all times do we?
[*]You may want to use a trivia bot in your channel for fun, which is always a good thing.

-Andy

D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
well its all good if you can get the people into the chatroom lol and i dont know where to get a triva bot frown

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
One thing you don't want to do is go around in others channels advertising yours. smile

Get TrivBot.

-Andy

D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
oh i learnd that lol but is so hard to get people to join if anybody has anymore ideas please tell me !! smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
To get more visitors:
If you search around online, you can find sites that allow posting your channel information to help get visitors. You can also include channel information in your signature on the majority of forums. However, make sure that you don't just stick info like that in your signature, then post once or twice with useless posts just so your sig is seen. Instead, find boards that you like and can be active on. Not only will that keep your message from being removed for spamming/advertising, but it gets your name out even more because you post more.

Our main chatting rules are no advertising of channels or websites unless absolutely necessary (or where they are related to the channel's topic), no SHOUTING, minimal to no swearing or perverse talk, no inappropriate nicks, no attacking/flaming others, and listen to the ops.

The most important thing, as mentioned above, is to make sure you only op people you can trust. We ran into problems on my channel (not the one displayed in my sig) where some of the ops decided to "rebel" and wanted all the rules loosened so people could flame each other and so there was no rule about swearing and perverse talk and similar. Ended up causing a very large division in the channel. Best to keep the number of ops to a minimum (only enough to run the channel and hopefully have at least one op there about 75% of the time if possible) and to make sure you can trust them.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
_
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
_
It's also important not to take too much control as a channel operator or to make sure any ops you take on are not too controlling either. People are there to chat and not to be pushed around. People can quite easily /part your channel to get away from a bossy user with ops and they will do it without a doubt.

Don't overly instruct users to talk or bring friends in either. Try and let things develop by themselves. Your patience will pay off, I promise.

D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
any ideas on the sites where i could post an ad? i mean i could post them anywere but you have to target people who use mirc or orther chat clients so any help on this i would love to hear thanks.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
ive been going nuts lately i just cant seem to get the people to join my chatroom when they do join its only for about 5 seconds i dont even get a chance to say hi to them,i wonder how all the other channels get people in!? please help!!! ahhhhhhh lol

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My secret is to have as few rules as possible and only have enough rules that allow for the effective running of the room - but NOT undue control over people. Personally I don't care about excessive caps, colours, bold and other similar petty rules. If these things bother people then they need to find some more variety in their lives.

If you spend too much time ramming rules down people's throats then they will simply spend more time on working out ways of breaking them.

D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
yeah ive tryd that i only have 3 rules and they are no advertiseing in the room no co pedo channaling and no pm's without asking the person 1st, but still its hard to get people in the room its like they dont wana join it. lol should i give up?

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
The chatters are what make the chatroom great. A good bunch of people that have a good time day in and day out will keep coming back. Also, fewer rules and channel ops are a good thing. A room with too many rules and ops usually make for trouble among themselves Uncomfortable people usually will go elsewhere. Treat others as you want to be treated and mind your P's and Q's and you should have no problem.

Don't give up! A great chatroom does not happen overnight, it takes time. If you have the patience and dedication the payoff is well worth it in the long run (i.e. many new friends and a great place to chat)

Good luck!

Last edited by The_Game; 29/08/05 02:47 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
1) Try getting 5 or so people to hang out in there so it doesn't look like a one-person room. People are more likely to stay, then. Talk to people you know (IRL or in other rooms) and see if they'll at least idle there for awhile.

2) Get a trivia bot (I believe that was already mentioned). That will give people a reason to stay. And, IMPROVE the questions!! MANY channels use the same trivia bots and never change the questions. Playing the same trivia in multiple channels gets boring. Our channel (not the Invision one in my sig) offers trivia about classic gaming with almost 10,000 questions that are only about classic gaming. We made it so visitors can add their own questions (must be verified by an op, of course). Makes it easy to increase the number. People love our trivia and I've been asked many times for the questions... though, I don't give them out for the very reason I mentioned above.

3) Offer something of interest to give people a reason to stay. There are thousands of "chat" channels where there really isn't a point other than chatting. Try making it more interesting... have it be a chat about specific things to try and get people in there (such as "Teen Gaming Chat" or whatever). You can always expand later ... and it will probably expand on its own as well. The idea is to get a "hook" to get people in there and talking.

And, like mentioned... have patience.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
ahhhhh its hard lol grin

Link Copied to Clipboard