mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#125449 18/07/05 05:08 AM
L
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
L
I've asked before about having 1 mIRC in 60 channels, or 2 mIRCs in 30 channels each, thus a combined total of 60. I was told one mIRC was good for os resources..but it seems it may not be the case.

My 4,500 hour uptime, Windows 2K, is unbelievably crap, at mostly everything. Can't even open IE without getting an error message.

So Hammer dcc'd me a 6.16 for me to install, and I instantly adapted to one mIRC in up to some 60 channels. Not only that, I set the maximum buffer lines, from 5,000 to 10,000. Then, in my titlebar, I still have the clock in seconds, $countnicks and $line($active,0), which counts up all the lines in my buffer, typically reaching a max of 8,000.

So everytime I move a channel window, I have to wait 5 minutes or so for it to stop making noise and until I could type. Sometimes I wait half an hour or so just so I could fully see "one" channel window..at a time. And by the time I could type I have to wait a few minutes for the computer to stop making loading noise and see my typing appear in my input, before pressing Enter and waitinf a few for it to appear.

And after the wait, all the lines would eventually shoot out to me, and not even my centisecond timestamp could differentiate difference in time.

It takes me 6 seconds to flood paste 10 lines (according to my timestamp after minutes of waiting). /join #chan1,#chan2,#chan3, my mIRC takes seconds before intervals, only to wait some minutes before I could mouse click.

Luckily, pm windows with 1 or 2 lines isn't bad, since it doesn't take long to count $line($active,0) the 2 lines.

I did at one time stop my titlebar timers from the clock and buffer line count, but it didn't do any significant speed from moving around my mirc. Even opening up my aliases or remotes to put in a line takes minutes.

That's why I do all my on-line stuff, except IRC, on a downstairs computer.

So is there a way via comshells or something to count up $line($active,0)?

Supposedly, COM is the solution to everything regarding speed..

Btw, if I put my computer on Stand By and restores, would that help my pc? Thanks.

#125450 18/07/05 05:54 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
I have to wait a few minutes for the computer to stop making loading noise and see my typing appear in my input

This loading noise, i assume its the harddrive?

Well if it is , its doing that most likely becuase your execedding your real ram, and are swapping to disk, try going and buying ummm say 4gb of ram.

#125451 18/07/05 01:10 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Um... lower your buffer. Your buffer is the number of lines being held in memory. If you have 60 channels with 10,000 lines of buffer in memory, then you WILL have problems. 600,000 lines of buffer isn't what mIRC is designed for. smile

If you have to be in that many channels, then you should limit your buffer to 1000 or even less. Usually, you don't need to see thousands of lines of text in a channel anyhow.

Also, consider your logging... if you are logging 60 channels that are very active, you will have issues as well. Try limiting what you log to those channels that are important.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#125452 18/07/05 02:12 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Along with what Riamus2 said about logging...
You say it slows to a crawl when you join the channels,
do you have the 'Reload logs' option enabled? I could
see this really effecting performance on a slow system
with huge log files. If this is enabled and you insist on
keeping it enabled, maybe select the 'Trim log files'
option as well? Just a couple of suggestions.

~ Edit ~
I agree with lowering that buffer, with that much in
buffer, that's just a ton of wasted memory. Just stop
and think, do you really need that much? Do you need
to reference the buffer that much that it needs to waste
so much memory? The answer would be no here, I would
reference logs instead .. but that's just me.

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 18/07/05 02:18 PM.
#125453 18/07/05 04:50 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Oh, and one more possibility... some scripts (such as Invision) have the ability to check the IAL when joining a channel. With large channels, this takes forever. It's best to have that disabled.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard