Print Thread
#12330 21/02/03 07:29 PM
T
tikk Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Clicking on any link in 6.03 opens the link in IE even though it's not my default browser. There is no place in preferences to change this.

This post seems to suggest that the issue has been raised on this forum already and dismissed by mIRC as 'not their problem'. The author of that post respectfully disagrees. And if that is true, I'd have to respectfully disagree as well, as every other app on my machine recognizes Mozilla to be the One True Default Browser. I've spoken to others running 6.03 who have an experience identical to mine as well.

(edited section because i just remembered..)
This problem isn't borne of anti-MS snobbery either- there is a practical reason to be concerned beyond pickiness. About half the time I click on a link in 6.03, it crashes mIRC *and* IE. (well, IE simply never entirely opens, and mIRC freezes).
(end edited)

Please advise.

Thanks..

scott

Last edited by tikk; 21/02/03 07:33 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
With all due respect to the url you included, we did inform users of an MS problem regarding browser selection, but we also acknowledge this is a bug. Bugs happen. We dont like it, but they do. Far from "dismissing it" we have suggested a few workarounds until the next version is released. Take a look at the tread in the bug forum here, which includes links to other threads or use the search feature to read all of them since it was first reported.

Khaled reads these forums, and altho he rarely will make a post saying "fixed next version" and the mods cant speak for him, a quick read of every version.txt shows he fixes problems reported.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you have problems with stability of mIRC and/or IE then I suggest that it is your whole system that needs to be looked at. Is Windows in general in a healthy state, kept up to date with the most recent servicepack and the most recent version of IE?

T
tikk Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
I'll respond to Watchdog first and say that my windows config is just fine. I'm a developer myself and I'm pretty aware of my setup. I run XP with the latest SPs and have the most recent version of IE. After I posted my initial question I asked the other members of my channel if a) they were running 6.03 and if so b) was the action of clicking on links from within mIRC crashing IE. The answers were uniformly affirmative. To contextualize, the channel I refer to isn't filled with skript kiddies h4xor types - In other words, it's not the users fault and my experience can hardly be considered unique.

To respond to ParaBrat, thanks.. I understand bugs happen. But I did search on "default browser" in both google as well as a few obvious forums (including this one) only to come up empty. You refer to a thread in the bug forum.. do you have anything more specific than that? I searched that forum specifically for "default browser" and came up empty as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks for the replies

~ scott

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Hammer did a workaround for this problem, and it's right here smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
T
tikk Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks for the workaround. Hammer's works perfectly.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You're welcome. I suspect the problem in your search of this msg board was you didnt expand "forum to search" to "all forums" or expand the date range... i got a couple pages worth when i checked just now using default browser.

My apologies for not being clearer, i should perhaps have said the Bug Reports area of this msg board, specifically the first thread which is sticky and titled "mIRC wont open the browser i want" or given you the link.

Glad you found the workaround and hope you now realize we arent dismissing the prob smile

Personally i havent had any prob with mIRC crashing IE. Wonder if this is yet another problem specific to xp users?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Pap Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
P
I just installed mIRC 6.03 from 6.02 35 minutes ago. Sure enough, I now have the same problem where clicking links opens them in IE, even though Opera is my default browser. All other shortcuts in Windows XP open correctly in Opera, and Opera is reporting itself as the default browser.

At this point I'm debating whether to use that workaround remote script or to go back to 6.02

confused

Link Copied to Clipboard