mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
here's one example of the query-buffer-save-as.. bug that keeps recurring.

pasted directly from the query window:

<wingblah> hi how are you tonight?
<TX-Aggie96> fine and you?
<wingblah> pretty good. are you m or f?
<TX-Aggie96> cool!!
<TX-Aggie96> m
<wingblah> shux, me too
<wingblah> unless you got a sister or something
<TX-Aggie96> nope. if i did i'd be hitting on her right about now!!
<wingblah> a sister? tsk tsk
<TX-Aggie96> you take what you can get!!
<wingblah> not me
No such nick/channel

what appears in TX-Aggie96.log after Buffer-->Save As...

Start of TX-Aggie96 buffer: Sun May 29 14:28:07 2005

<wingblah> hi how are you tonight?
<TX-Aggie96> fine and you?
<wingblah> pretty good. are you m or f?
<TX-Aggie96> cool!!
<TX-Aggie96> m
<wingblah> shux, me too
<wingblah> unless you got a sister or something
<TX-Aggie96> nope. if i did i'd be hitting on her right
about now!!
<wingblah> a sister? tsk tsk
<wingblah> not me
No such nick/channel
End of TX-Aggie96 buffer Sun May 29 14:28:07 2005

note that the line

<TX-Aggie96> you take what you can get!!

does not appear in the brand new saved buffer file.

so far I seem to have confirmed that only the 'other person' loses a line in a query buffer save. it's never one of 'mine.' it seems to happen most often with the very last line from the 'other person' but not always. it's been as much as 6 lines up, so far as I've noticed. And if the dropped line is a multi-line thing, then only the first line - including <nick> - is dropped. the remainder of the 'other person's' message is still there.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If it keeps recurring, why did you have to re-post exactly the same example you already posted here?

Why did you create this thread anyway? Repeating yourself will really not get the problem fixed any faster.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
re also is experencing it only intermitently, which would lead me to beleave some outside influence is effecting it. I have tested out this, I even set the two nicks to the same thing, and said the same text incase it was some fluke textual events causing it. But as i suspected the logs were complete.

I have found that if only one person can seem to produce a bug, and no one else seems to get it, you normally can assume with some degree of certainty that its that persons machine alone causing it.

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
I re-posted the 'evidence' as a separate thread because it seemed like some of the people who looked at the earlier one were stopping when it looked like there was no 'proof.' and I also had no indication or reason to believe that there was anything being looked at or done, to fix it.

I had a similar type of "it works fine for me"/"I can't duplicate that problem" exchanges with Khaled almost 6 years ago, when 5.61 was having some problems with the tooltips causing system freezes/crashes. I was right then too, although it took a while before anyone else - including Khaled - believed it.

I didn't give up then, and I'm not giving up now. Although it seems possible that the problem won't actually get fixed until one of the developers stumbles across the relevant area of code by accident. It doesn't seem like many people actually use the Buffer-->Save As... function (as opposed to continuous logging, for example), or if they do, they haven't noticed the problem yet.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
If you cant reproduce it, how can you be sure its mirc, a random event occuring isnt proof of anything, displaying the text of that event isnt evidence either its just hearsay.
I cant make it happen so there for using your logic, Mirc MUST be perfect becuase as i cant make it happen its not mirc. (<-- thats not really proof now is it)

So i cant really say it is or isnt a fault, but must rely on the most likely answer.

An attitude of absoulute rightness when posting sure doesnt help either im sure ( or at least i think i might be smile )

Last edited by DaveC; 10/06/05 07:42 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard