mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#122195 07/06/05 07:24 AM
burek Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Hi all again wink

I apologize if someone has already asked this question, but I was unable to find any post regarding this question..

Anyway, can somebody explain to me what does "Fast Send" option in DCC mean? I have read the mIRC help, and I'm aware that "this option should speed up your DCC sessions", but the question is exactly what it does?

Please be as detailed as you can be and thanks to anybody who replies.

Greetings.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
The way I understand it is, when you send a file, mIRC sends
one packet at a time, it sends a packet and the receiving
client sends an ACK (ACKnowledgement) of the sent packet.
mIRC waits for an ACK from the receiving client before
sending the next packet. When Fast Send is enabled, mIRC
sends the next packet without waiting for an ACK from the
receiving client thus speeding the entire process.
Somone please correct me if I'm wrong.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
No correction needed, or at least to my understanding. Please note that one problem with using the fast send, is that if one packet doesn't go through correctly, then the whole transfer, realistically, was a waste, since there's no way for the two systems to know just which packet had trouble, as using the Normal method, it's possible to pause & resume a transfer.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
i think "NORMALLY" the reciever is aware when he doesnt get a packet, so doesnt just take the next one, but waits for the missing one, then times out, so it can be resumed ok, but the sender had no idea, as he was just tossing packets out saying "catch , catch , catch, catch" "what you missed one?",

To cavets here, i said "I think" and I also said "normally" since i have heard of somepeople missing a packet and getting a shortened file with one bity missiing in the middle.

Seems pretty unlikely to me tho. altho I think the ack sends back how much you have recieved so far, so a missed packet could slide by if /fastsends were on i guess.

I have never seen a speed difference if its on or off, then again i dont use a 56k modem LOL

burek Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
thank you all smile
I was guessing it was something like that, but I prefer to ask rather than to guess wink

once again, thank you all smile

Link Copied to Clipboard