mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
tizzone Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
I only got IRC to join a gaming clan for COD. I knew nothing of IRC when I got it. Glad I have it now!

I joined the team's chat channel and were talking with them and they had me "configure" IRC. I was already in their channel, but didn't see that as being weird. I had to set various things to what they told me. It was about five or six things, and none of them were in menus, all values that I had to type in as they suggested.

Now, I'm not a consipracy guy, but I can't see what the need for any settings since I was already in their channel and everything worked fine. Since this config, my ping went up on all servers about 20-30. I had my maxpackets changed to cheat/above PB limit levels once, though that could have been while I was in their server, etc.

In addition, the clan leader could always seem to see my every move. Yes, he could follow me when he died, but he seemed to "see" more than that. In addition, 2 Sundays, back-to-back, while I was in the clan, my cable modem was out. Never happened before, never again. (After a month in the clan, and after all these strnage occurrences, I quit them).

What I am asking, though it seems far-fetched, is could this high-level knowledge computer guy have manipulated my computer (even if only viewing my gaming on his puter) by having me set a bunch of values that they did? Or could that have been the way into my puter?

Again, I know its way out there, but too many things happened quite strangely at the same time.

Last edited by tizzone; 06/06/05 06:07 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Firstly, please realise that mIRC is not primarily for the sake of gaming, so forgive any ignorance of myself or anyone else on this board in relation to what you're talking about smile

By ONLY changing mIRC's options in the options dialog then no, it is not possible for anyone to harm your computer. Not to say that you should change any options at someone's request unless you know what they do, but there's nothing there that can let someone follow you or control your computer.

However, mIRC has a very powerful scripting language that can potentially be very damaging to your computer if used incorrectly, and can indeed let someone execute any command they want on your computer. So, if you put any form of script (press ALT+R to access the Script Editor[/color]) into your mIRC, then it's quite possible they did something lame. You can unload all your scripts through File > Unload.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
T
tizzone Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I have learned a valuable lesson.

I dont know what scripts would be good or bad. I unloaded everything in Aliases, but in popups tab, there's seems to be valuable stuff like .join to join channels, etc. So I left those alone.

Maybe they did not use anything to "view" my gaming, but I have to believe that all the crap that went on during my time with them likely was initiated by them.

Bummer. I guess I need to be less gullible.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
You should also unload anything that's in the Remotes Tab that you aren't sure about. If you unload something that you end up finding you want, then it can be reloaded.

Link Copied to Clipboard