mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
A
Anychance of knowing when the next version of mirc will see the light of day and look different from all the other versions maybe?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There's a sticky thread currently two posts above yours that answers this question.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
Given the last version came out almost a year ago, I'm guessing that a major version is due out really soon now. Hell, I'd even guess a 7.0 release

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Doesn't matter how long it has been since the last release, I believe it was nearly 2 years before 6.11 came out and in between updated due to bug fixes/exploits....yada yada

Also, i'm willing to bet that Khaled is a very busy man at this time which leads mIRC being worked on in his free time. I don't know about you but, I myself wouldn't wanna be parked in front of a personal confuser all day working on mIRC (no offense to the full time scripters laugh), but I would wanna be out enjoying life and being social.

Besides, I think I read somewhere Khaled is back in school getting his masters degree. (can someone confirm this?) I'm not trying to come off as rude, but why not just be patient and it will be out when its ready to be released.

As far as 7.0 goes, I believe that may be the next one....(can someone also confirm this? Too many posts to search laugh)

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
Besides, I think I read somewhere Khaled is back in school getting his masters degree.

It says that in his FAQ (or it did last time I checked)

New username: hixxy
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
well, we all have lives to some extent... hehe. and why should khaled be any different?. it's true that, it's been about a good year since the last release and i'm sure khaled is well aware of it too. i don't know if he keeps up on the forums here, but i do trust he's informed of the general consensus of mirc supporters. and when the time is right he'll release the next version. in addition (imo) mirc most likely will be released s open source when khaled retires from codeing......... smirk

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
As Mentality posted about that particular issue:

Quote:
From Khaled's FAQ:

Question: Will you be releasing the mIRC source code under CopyLeft/GPL at some point?
Answer: I might, however mIRC is the way I make a living. It only happened by chance, and I've always expected to move on at some point, but it's still hard to give that up.

Another issue is that I've worked on mIRC for many years according to a set of personal beliefs that I know would be inappropriate or inapplicable to others if I release the source code. In an environment that's as commercial as Windows, that's difficult to accept.

N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
Quote:
Answer: I might, however mIRC is the way I make a living.

Well, actually, he doesn't "make" a living at all, since he doesnt work at all on this client any more. The community is here the one which does all the "work" now, since its the community effect which brings him in new paying users. Today, nobodywould really choose mIRC (and pay for it, when there are such great free alternatives available) without everybody else using it too, and recommending it as practically "the one IRC client".

He, on the other side, ignores them totally. Remember, without its scripting users mirc would neither be as well known, nor as popular in the IRC community. It would be what it is: Just Another IRC Client. (At the time of writing, also an outdated and ugly one.)

mIRC's author, in his delusion of grandeur, chooses to ignore the major selling point of this client: its vast community, and leave the scene in favor of other clients like jIRCii, Xchat, Hydra or Trillian.

Loyal Scriptes who invested so much time on the mIRC platform should punish Khaleds own infidelity towards his community, jump the boat in time, and invest their time in other, free, more promising projects.

Quote:
Another issue is that I've worked on mIRC for many years according to a set of personal beliefs that I know would be inappropriate or inapplicable to others if I release the source code.

Thousands of developers release their work under free licences, which includes great IRC clients on windows too. So I dont see how it could be "inappropriate to others" if he released the source of mIRC under a free software licence.

Quote:
In an environment that's as commercial as Windows, that's difficult to accept.

This is simply not true.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
Well, actually, he doesn't "make" a living at all, since he doesnt work at all on this client any more.

One would assume you are a beta tester or you are a self-deprecating Khaled in disguise then? Oh, wait, no, you are just a bitchy speculative user.

Quote:
mIRC's author, in his delusion of grandeur

Oh, so you know Khaled then? Oh, wait, no, you don't. You're just speculating on his attitude and personality.

Quote:
So I dont see how it could be "inappropriate to others" if he released the source of mIRC under a free software licence.

You don't have to understand how, it's up to Khaled to release the source code or not release it, for whatever reason he wants.

I'm not in the mood for trolls anymore, if you're here to make comments you know are going to cause arguments please just leave now and go back to bitching about Bill Gates, and save me the time of locking the thread. Thanks.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
I would like Khald to release the source of mIRC.
I guess I will wait for him smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not going to happen. So, just enjoy it without source.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard