Print Thread
#120578 19/05/05 08:54 AM
R
RusselB Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R
This is something I was told by one person could already be done, but I'm hearing from others that it can't. Specifically a way for others to view a dialog that's running on a bot (probably). I'd done nothing in the way of dialogs, and was using an on text event for people to submit information to my bot in reagards to the game, and I noticed that a lot of the information was being duplicated by almost all of the players.
One person suggested making a dialog box where people could select certain items that they wanted from the common one's, then enter the non-common things still using the on text event or as a text entry box in the dialog. Never did get to the point of seeing if that was possible, since each person would have to be able to see and alter the dialog, with the results being stored in the bot.
Hope that makes more sense to someone that's awake than it does to me right now. For further clarification, go to To dialog or not to dialog? That is the question.

#120579 19/05/05 06:03 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Obviously if you make a dialog on your client other people won't magically be able to see it. There's no way for mIRC to add that feature and there's certainly no reason it should have it. All you have to do is write a script that will create/show the dialog based on certain text coming over IRC or a socket and have the bot's users download the script.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#120580 20/05/05 04:27 AM
R
RusselB Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. If you look at the link I included in the original, you'll see that there's 2 (or maybe more, by now) people who feel that it might be a good idea.

#120581 20/05/05 07:04 AM
C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
Sorry RusselB but I'm going to have to agree with starbucks on this one. I can understand your point of view considering you have had others tell you this "feature" would be useful, however, we also have to remember that IRC's main purpose is to provide a means for communication. Attempting to add something like this into mIRC itself as a native feature would result in having to create somewhat of an in client protocol to send information about the dialogs and then draw them to the screen and as well be able to remotely send information on event triggers (such as sclick, dclick). As a result, this feature would be restricted to only mIRC users and as such would hamper the usefulness of the feature since other people who dont use mIRC would be left in the cold.

#120582 20/05/05 07:30 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Just becuase other clients wouldnt be able to do something the client with the majority share of users can do, it shouldnt be considered as a addable feature huh?

The underlying protocol wouldnt take much to make, and as I said in the other thread, just have an option to enable/disable/accept/reject remote dialogs.
note I do beleive remote dialogs would run NO SCRIPTS simply report back the users dialog actions, excluding moves/closes/etc

#120583 20/05/05 09:25 AM
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
I'm curious how this would work. Would clients send requests to the server for access to the dialog, or would the server send to the client whether it asked for it or not? Is this like some sort of DCC DIALOG thing? Would lag be an annoying factor? I can see some obvious ways that something like this could be abused: for example, dialog request floods. I know that if someone could remotely open 5000 dialogs on my computer, I would be a sad Hrung. On the other hand, it is not so difficult to just write a proprietary, unified dialog, package it in a script, and have anyone trying to access the server use that. Either way, this isn't something that can exist on its own -- it would require scripting to make it work, even if it were built-in, so I can't see much use for having this included in the next mIRC, and indeed hope that it is not. Since there's no telling how long before the next version of mirc comes out, and when it does, what it will include, you might even lose interest by the time this kind of thing is possible. In the mean time, I'd suggest you get to work on that script.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
#120584 20/05/05 10:43 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
If your curious as to how it could work, have a look at how server side validated webforms work, either using submit on completion or submitting apon any change. And as with anything on irc someone would send something, i see no problem with it being dcc dialog like idea, as to open to abuse, its no more open to abuse as dcc send already is, these open dialog like window on your end already, unless your rejecting the file, As to using proprietry code, while ok with me, alot of people dont like having to install scripts, so a built in function to allow remote dialogs would solve this. As to cant exist on its own, no scripts need reside on the remote pc, the idea is the actions taken in the dialog are returned to the server that sent it, any script action takes palece there. I doubt it would be included in a new version of mirc simply becuase i doubt it would ever be included. and as for me loosing interest well i havent lost ir or gained it, and i dont need to script it as Im not the one who requested it, not that i can see that it would take much of a script to be installed on the remote end, just something to notice a dialog build request, and its dialog data, and a dialog event driver that replies with what was done in the dialog.

#120585 20/05/05 06:28 PM
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
Actually, DaveC, I wasn't really talking to you. That post should have been re: RusselB. My mistake. It's his idea, so I was asking him how he thinks it should be implemented. The original post was fairly vague on the details. Additionally, I wasn't implying that you might lose interest, but instead that RusselB might.

RusselB, if this is something that you need, it might help to be as specific as possible, so that what gets implemented, assuming it does, is actually what you want. Personally, I would recommend working out all the details yourself, then posting it. Seems to me that it would be easier for Khaled to make if he didn't have to come up with the protocol before implementing it. Just my opinion. Additionally, if it turns out that it isn't implemented, you could just as easily write the protocol in such a way that it could be scripted, perhaps by writing a temporary .ini file using dialog data sent over this DCC dialog connection, loading, and opening it. That way, if at a later date it is implemented your way, the only change is that people can ditch the script.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
#120586 20/05/05 09:27 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
If your curious as to how it could work, have a look at how server side validated webforms work

Chances are that the vast majority of users (and even scripters) aren't going to use this feature in their mIRC experience (for reasons mentioned above), so why not do exactly what you said in the quote; build a small webserver in mIRC.

New username: hixxy
#120587 21/05/05 08:30 AM
R
RusselB Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R
Hrung: This isn't something that I need, but rather something that I was told could be done by one person when they couldn't figure out the instructions given which essentially did the same thing but using an ON TEXT event on my bot.

Since I only heard it was possible from one person, and they had trouble following very simple & specific instructions, and then hearing from other scripters that it's not possible at this point, I simply made it a suggestion. Quite frankly, for the most part, I'm more than happy with what mIRC currently has available.

Link Copied to Clipboard