Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#120538 19/05/05 06:01 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
then the filesharing option should be removed from mIRC all together.

I disagree with that and I would hope it would never happen.
I agree that people are too quickly labled a thief on these
boards if they even mention file sharing, but in most instances
it is true even if the proof is not there. Like the original post
in this thread, he may not have come right out and said he
was downloading movies or music or anything, but he used
the word "qued" which raises a red flag with me that
maybe I shouldn't help this person. I don't think anyone should
be made to disclose the content of the files they're downloading
or sharing to get help. If they don't actually say they're
swapping copyrighted material, and they haven't used any
red flag words then they should be helped rather than be
labled a thief simply because they need help with file transfers.
On the other hand, if they're not going to help then they
should do just that, don't help. Instead of posting a
message stating why it is that they will not help, why not
just ignore the thread?

#120539 19/05/05 06:34 PM
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Quote:
I fail to see how that was arrogant.

Like i said, there's no comparison between the 2

just because people download a few mp3's/videos here and there doesn't make them take the law into their own hands, this debate could go on to the fact it's illegal to record from the Tv, or the Radio, but i'm sure you've never done that have you? grin

#120540 20/05/05 07:35 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
This board helps people with legitimate questions, we don't really care nor need to know who specifically uses mIRC as a file trading program, so please don't make pointless posts informing us.

Dont worry I dont use mirc for filesharing, im to selfish for that, i just leech of others and keep it all for myself. No Sharing or trading here! <grin>

Come On its general chat!

#120541 20/05/05 04:52 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
just because people download a few mp3's/videos here and there doesn't make them take the law into their own hands,

Actually, If i don't get my receipt from iTunes I tend to get disgruntled and end up writing them nasty emails until i get one smile

#120542 20/05/05 09:37 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
Like i said, there's no comparison between the 2

Of course there is.

You think you can do whatever you want because you paid for a piece of software, so why can't you do the same with a car, weapon or anything else you've bought? You can't because the law applies to you too, not just everybody else.

New username: hixxy
#120543 21/05/05 12:24 AM
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
How can you compare a serious injury or fatality to someone downloading 100 illegal thingsone a machine an hour? (example)

#120544 21/05/05 12:34 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
look up and you see how he can.
Most people look for the thinner edge of the wedge when striffing to proove there point (i know i do). The analogy was the same tho, both are brought, both can be used for something wrong, both can cause pain or loss to others, although one by a far more direct method.

Its when someone uses something that doesnt connect that razzes me, like "i download files i need for school" reply "so your saying its ok to pirate if its for school" im like "errrr no i didnt say that"

#120545 22/05/05 03:51 AM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Quote:

this debate could go on to the fact it's illegal to record from the Tv, or the Radio, but i'm sure you've never done that have you?

actually, those examples it is not illegal to record from those types of media becuase they are considerd public access. anyways, i am in full agreement with two things in this thread.

1. the fact that too many people prematurely judge others, not just here but on all the boards whenever anything about fileserving (especially xdcc) issues/questions come up,people assume the poster is in violation of some copywright. if you don't want to assist then don't...

2.) these types of threads are old hat and never go anywhere.

and as a sidenote i forget now who had mentioned this but asking the poster about the content of the material that thier transferimg/receiving is really nobodys business imo. also, although understand that there are some keys words/phrases that will indicate and triger " RED FLAGS " to some, in those cases just don't respond if bothers you. because i don't know about anyone else but, as for me i get tired of scanning through useless posts/replies.

sorry, but i had to put my 2 cents worth in.

#120546 22/05/05 04:29 AM
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Mary_juana your just like my 12 year old sister, she fails to see a point being made with something totally different from the 'mistake'. Just because you buy something does not give you the right to break the law with it, as a few people have said more than once already. Grow up, get a job and obatin it the right way.

Someone should lock this thread, it's going nowhere.

#120547 22/05/05 01:00 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
and as a sidenote i forget now who had mentioned this but asking the poster about the content of the material that thier transferimg/receiving is really nobodys business imo.

Asking on our boards? Then it's our business, atleast it is as we have a rule about helping with warez.

Quote:
just don't respond if bothers you

On the contrary, if users don't like the rules we have here, which are few and fair, then they shouldn't post in the first place.

I agree that this thread is going nowhere, like every other thread that people decide to ruin by arguing about it.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard