Print Thread
#120185 15/05/05 01:05 AM
I
iLL Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
I
Well I looked at my performance graph thing in the task manager and i notice that it constantly jumped from maybe 10% up to 100% back and forth. This must be the reason why i cannot watch videos or play counter-strike with MIRC open and it is very frustrating.

I have a 1ghz pentium 3
256mb of pc133 SDRAM (with another 256 on the way)
and a GeForce 2 GTS/Pro.

Someone please help.

#120186 15/05/05 06:25 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you're using Windows XP, bring up the task manager that comes with Windows XP, then sort by CPU usage. If this column isn't showing, click View - Select Columns, then check CPU Usage.

The item that's using the most CPU time will be at the top and should be your System Idle Process. If the item at the top is showing 0 for CPU Usage, click the column again to reverse the sort order.

This will enable you to determine what programs are using how much of your CPU time. The numbers are a percentage of the total.

When you find out what is using so much CPU time, right click the item and select Set Priority. Personally, I recommend having all items set for Normal.

Hope this helps

#120187 15/05/05 09:48 AM
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
If the taskmanager thingie shows mIRC as using up all of that cpu time, you should check what scripts you are using, and maybe unload or disable a few of them you suspect of hogging your pc. It could be that you are in a few very busy channels or the network has (or just recovered from) a netsplit, where lots of nicks all join or quit at the same time.

If you don't find answers, here's a not-so-nice way of seeing what script is causing the problems: when you find your cpu at 100%, try hitting ctrl-break in mIRC and check your status windows to see if some script was halted and if the cpu drops. If this happens in the same script almost each time, you have probably found your cpu hog smile

#120188 15/05/05 07:20 PM
I
iLL Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hey Russel, I think you are on to something. When i look at my processes and check which uses the most CPU usage...mIRC is a constant 0. The only 2 things that use any are 1, explorer - Usually only uses 1 or 2. But then when i have IRC open a "System Idle Process" which i cannot set a priority for is using 99 frown What do i do? Is it maybe because i am using hixscript? And when i hav eIRC closed my total CPU usage maintains itself between 1-10 percent.

Last edited by iLL; 15/05/05 07:40 PM.
#120189 15/05/05 09:25 PM
I
iLL Offline OP
OP Offline
I
NEVERMIND I found out the problem smile I used hixscript and i just downloaded regular and it works now laugh

#120190 16/05/05 02:06 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
System Idle Process is the "name" given to the resources available when your system is doing nothing/idling. In this case, having that at a high number is good, since it means that your system isn't using much in the way of other resources. Glad to see you found the problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard