Print Thread
#119689 09/05/05 04:20 AM
R
RusselB Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R
I'm looking for a way to keep my kids from closing versions of mIRC that are running bots. Any suggestions?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Set a password on it in ALT+O > Other > Lock, then when minimising the bots use CTRL+Minimise. Then a password will be required to access mIRC when opened.

'Course, you could also just ask them to not close any mIRC that's running, why would they want to intentionally do it anyway?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Wierd your post wasnt here when i read this, and then appeared after i replied, but was listed a good 20 mins before i replied originally to Russell.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I am at one with the boards. Think Matrix. Think Agent. Think Me.

smirk

P.S. I have no idea why you saw that, I didn't see an answer and replied as usual *shrugs*

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
R
RusselB Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R
Thanks for the assistance...I don't think they're closing mIRC intentionally, but rather trying to close something else, maybe Yahoo messenger, via the tray icon, which normally sits right next to the mIRC icon.

U
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
U
That works, but they can still kill it using the task manager :P

us3rX

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Well he could encase the PC in a small but powerfull selfsustaning negitive mass bubble and thus avoid the chance that they might also delete the bot files, or pour petrol into the pc to see how well it burns. smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I wonder how S'mores would taste when cooked over a burning PC... laugh

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Well that is unavoidable (fortunately really).

Another thing that might be an idea, if you haven't already, is if the issue is accidental closure, enable the Confirm option so that confirmation has to be given before closing mIRC. ALT+O > Other > [Confirm...]. Might want to leave a note next to the computer, "Don't close mIRC!"

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
If you have Windows XP: why not make a separate account for your kids, a regular user, not administrator ofcourse. You have your account or even a special bot account (also regular user ofcourse, even you should be normal user most of the time ideally) and the kids have theirs, and fast user switching makes everyone have his own stuff that others can't access without knowing the password. The task manager won't allow them to kill your processes, it will allow them to hit the off button tho smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
True. However, note that some default XP setups do not allow Internet access from more than one user at a time... even if you changed users without logging out. You have to have a setting turned on to allow that. Unfortunately, I can't think of the correct setting off the top of my head and don't have time right now to track it down.

Invision Support
R
RusselB Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R
In reply to Riamus2's reply re: smores
If you find out how those S'mores taste, let me know...I've got better things to do with my money than replacing pc's because they've been used for cooking purposes...or better yet, send me some (or all) of that extra cash laugh

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I've only cooked one computer... I don't think I'll do so again. I had a Cyrix (ugh!) years back and a wire in the case caught the cpu heatsink's fan and stopped it... comp fried quickly. At least it didn't smell like burning resisters, tho... those smell aweful! laugh

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard