mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
Seems to have started a few months ago. I'll be sitting on a server with 4 or 5 channels open, and all of a sudden all I see on the screen are the set modes "[17:47;04] * acid sets mode: +v [e]-295871". All other posts in the channel are not shown.

Usually all I need to do to get it to start showing everything in the channel again is to either type in a message or hit the period key and then enter while in the channel.

Its normally only one or two of the windows that will start to do this.

Any ideas why?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Given the workaround it sounds a lot like a script, type /!remote off and see if the problem continues.

Also check that you have all the events to 'Default'. Right click the channel name in the switchbar and click on 'Events...' and check it there.

If it is a script then you need to unload whatever remote file it is that's causing the issues (which we don't know), you should know what you have loaded!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
some irc servers have a +/-p mode on the channels (might be other letters else where), after a set amount of time with no activity from you the irc server stops sending anything but mode changes etc, all user text is just not sent to u.

H
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
Well, its a clean install of MIRC, no scripts.... /remote off didn't help...

The network is Rizon.....

Any way of getting around the +/- p thing?

After paying more attention to it.... its all the channels that stop not just one or two.

Doesn't seem to be happening if to other networks.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
umode +p
- Bandwidth-saving usermode. This usermode causes you to take part in the bandwidth-saving feature of the ircd on all channels you are in that are NOT set +Z.

Quote:
cmode +Z
- 'No bandwidth saver' This mode disables the bandwidth saver in the ircd. When the bandwidth saver is disabled, users who are /away, or idle for more then 30 minutes will still get channel messages. The bandwidth saver is designed for large channels with little chatting. If you arent running one of these types of channels, it would be best to enable this mode on your channel to disable the bandwidth saver.

Basically, what it's saying is that it's designed for XDCC-type channels where people rarely hold conversations (I am in several channels that have mode +Z and do not have the problem). As far as I can determine, you cannot remove the +p that's given to you by the Rizon servers.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel; 06/05/05 01:12 PM.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
H
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
Guess its time to find a script that will keep me active on that server.

H
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
Anyone know of a good addon or script to do this?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Keeping active on the server will do you no good as it's a channel mode (+Z), not a server mode.
I suspect (not confirmed, and Rizon's explanation is not clear) that what they're doing is stopping your messages from posting to the channel (as well as everyone else's), so it would do you no good to have an anti-idle message every 10 minutes or so, either, because it would only make your messages show for everyone else, and not allow theirs to show for you.
I spend time in several CHAT channels, and have no issues at all with this (they are mode +Z by default when they're created).

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
When i used rizon last (a while ago) all you needed to do is say something in channel and it all came back, there just simply not sending you other users text if you go CHANNEL idle of over X seconds (i dont know how much X is).

A simple timer event well cure the problem.
/timer 0 600 .msg <channel> .

a better timer might be this tho

;usage stayactive <channel>
alias stayactive { if ($chan($1)) { .timer. $+ $rand(100000,199999) 1 600 if $!chan($1) $({,) .msg $!v1 . $(|,) .timer $!+ $!ctimer 1 10 $!timer( $!ctimer ).com $(},) } }

H
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
OK.... since this is Greek to me... what does each one do?

I would guess the "/timer 0 600 .msg <channel>" would be done in a channel, and the other one put somewhere in mirc, but where?

I'm thinking the channel goes inactive in 30 minutes.....

Since a lot of the channels are +m, should I just go and start a new one or find one that is not +m?

Quote:
When i used rizon last (a while ago) all you needed to do is say something in channel and it all came back, there just simply not sending you other users text if you go CHANNEL idle of over X seconds (i dont know how much X is).

A simple timer event well cure the problem.
/timer 0 600 .msg <channel> .

a better timer might be this tho

;usage stayactive <channel>
alias stayactive { if ($chan($1)) { .timer. $+ $rand(100000,199999) 1 600 if $!chan($1) $({,) .msg $!v1 . $(|,) .timer $!+ $!ctimer 1 10 $!timer( $!ctimer ).com $(},) } }

H
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
What wierd is that all i have to do is hit any key in a few of the channels, and the info from the channels starts flowing again...

And all the channels are +m...

Quote:
Keeping active on the server will do you no good as it's a channel mode (+Z), not a server mode.
I suspect (not confirmed, and Rizon's explanation is not clear) that what they're doing is stopping your messages from posting to the channel (as well as everyone else's), so it would do you no good to have an anti-idle message every 10 minutes or so, either, because it would only make your messages show for everyone else, and not allow theirs to show for you.
I spend time in several CHAT channels, and have no issues at all with this (they are mode +Z by default when they're created).

H
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
OK.... made my own channel.... and did a timer... and so far it has kept the info in the other channels coming....

Thanks for the suggestion and help!

Link Copied to Clipboard