Print Thread
#118808 29/04/05 04:24 AM
Z
Zilla Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
Z
Someone I know needs information on dccserver in order to implement it in his irc client.

This was found on it and presented to him.

His reply:
"*shudder*

Need I say more? That document is so non-useful it's scary. smile

It's like DCC Chat/File on top of HTTP (like), on top of TCP, started from DCC,
from IRC, on TCP. could you /have/ any more levels of protocol?"

#118809 29/04/05 03:27 PM
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
The dcc server protocol works outside of irc, has nothing to do with http, and is not started from DCC...

It is a simple listening socket. A client connects to it and sends the number of the protocol request (100, 110, 120, etc) followed by a nickname that can really be anything, and also maybe a filename, depending on the request. The server replies in a way that is determined by the type of request. The client may have more to say on the matter, but anything sent after that is data.

Seems fairly straightforward to me.

Edit: It is possible that he is confusing the DCC Server with normal DCC, which is understandable. They are not the same. The DCC server does not require IRC at all, which is the point.

Last edited by Hrung; 29/04/05 03:29 PM.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
#118810 04/01/06 08:19 PM
I
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
I
dcc confuses me too.
trying to read the only documentation for irc dcc that i can find it seems to suggest the irc client listens on port 0 (which is apparently actually port 59 for mirc) and then the receiver connects to the port and the sender starts sending the file data (in the case of file transfer). what i don't get is... say you offer 5 files to 2 different people before one of the files is accepted. the receiver connects to the listening port -- how does mIRC verify who's connecting or know which file to send?

Link Copied to Clipboard