Print Thread
#11872 18/02/03 07:20 AM
B
BoredNL Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
B
For mIRC (on the webpage), that shows what features are going to be added, if anything at all, what isn't going to be added, and what may possibly be added.

This way, us people suggesting things for mIRC don't waste our breath about features if it isn't necessary or practical to do so. It would also be good to help prevent people from wasting their time suggesting things that are either already going to be added, not going to be added, or if it's something on the "maybe" list.

smile

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
#11873 18/02/03 08:18 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
That's half the fun of waiting for each new version though. Not knowing! :tongue:

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#11874 18/02/03 08:27 AM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
At least someone here should compile a list of all the things suggested here (thats not already in mIRC) and make it sticky.

I think that would help a lot for both normal user and mIRC developers.

#11875 18/02/03 09:29 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You never know maybe someone has ...only by waiting for the next version will we all know what was added, deleted, or fixed...who knows. Almost like christmas the anxiety is building....LOL smile

#11876 18/02/03 08:59 PM
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
maybe we could vote the best features suggested, and the first ones may be on a sticky list or something

#11877 18/02/03 09:14 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
LoL the great thing about mirc is its not a democracy ..... no amount of voting would force khaled to add something into it unless he personaly felt like doing such ...... also there isnt a reason to post such a thing on a sticky thread as im possitive khaled does read these suggestions .......

D3m0nnet.com
#11878 18/02/03 09:31 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Just do a list with ALL things suggested (linking to the acutal threads), so he easy and fast can see what he likes.

#11879 18/02/03 09:32 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
General Reply:

The only one who decides what is going to be added and when, is the author, Khaled. He reads these forums, so is well aware of what ppl have suggested and the opinions stated for and against each. It is entirely possible that a feature he planned to add may end up being removed/delayed for a variety of reasons. If there was a list someplace of planned new features, that could change from day to day...and then we would end up with lots of "but you said blahblah and it isnt..." The very nature of programming requires flexibility.

Its quite easy for any user to see if a suggestion has been made/discussed using the search feature here, setting it to all forums, and expand the date range. As for putting those in a sticky post... ever notice how many times we have to tell ppl to go READ the sticky post that answers their question? Or to use the search feature to begin with.

Guess i kinda look at it as if each new version is like a book, why expect the author to tell everyone the ending before its published or he has even finished writing it.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#11880 19/02/03 12:07 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
good points there ...... i like being surprised myself too and totally right about having to tell ppl to read these sticky threads to find the answer they are looking for(LOL if u can call it looking when they cant find the top few posts of any forum)

D3m0nnet.com
#11881 19/02/03 07:40 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Maybe you find it fun, I personally find it annoying. Something gets suggested 143423 million times. The feature never gets added (ie. more dialog controls, etc.) Khaled never publically provides a reason as to why he didn't add it. Does he plan to add it in the future? Does he think it is a stupid idea? Does he want to do it he just needs more time to think about how? Is it something we might see in the near future? If there was some way of knowing what features are already being queued to (eventually) be added to mIRC it would certainly eliminate a LOT of duplicate posts. I still remember the posts on multi-server support. It must have been suggested 500 times. If Khaled would have just said, after the 3rd-4th post "This will be in mIRC soon" a lot of those annoying posts would have been avoided.

I totally understand that mIRC is his project, and he can run it however he feels, but the users are part of what makes a program successful, so it would be nice if the users could be kept slightly more up to speed on what is going on with mIRC.

#11882 19/02/03 08:52 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Patiences is sometimes rewarded...I would rather not know what the next version is but if its something to put on this website i.e. (The next version is currently in the making --Estimated Time of Arrival is <enter estimated date here>)
Course I think Khaled intends to keep it a surprise until it is realeased. (ask him why cause i dont know i cant speak for him)
I'm pretty sure that he knows whats being mentioned (god knows how many times) It all depends whether or not Khaled puts them in...keep in mind he works on mIRC whenever he can...Its not like he's working on it now or anything...I just assume to wait until it comes out. Because the fun of it is waiting to see what was added, deleted, or fixed....but thats just me.

#11883 19/02/03 11:04 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Me too. I'm not a coder or programmer or anything like that (obviously, lol) but I guess it could be frustrating for those that are. But as an 'average' user, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that new features aren't pre-announced. And ultimately, it's up to Khaled how he chooses to announce new versions - whether it's keeping us all in suspense, like now, or regular updates on what might or might not be included.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#11884 19/02/03 11:48 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Personally i think he intentionally wanted us to be kept in suspense....LOL. (jokes on us LMAO) anyways yeah im sure its frustrating to coders because its hard to tell whats being added until it finally comes out...but yeah i think khaled wants to keep us in the dark for a reasons that only khaled can answer

who knows right?

#11885 20/02/03 06:18 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
codemastr:
If Khaled would have just said, after the 3rd-4th post "This will be in mIRC soon" a lot of those annoying posts would have been avoided

yeah..then we would get "143423 million" of:
-when is soon
- a new version is out and it isnt there, how come
- i want it NOW
-what do you mean never, why not?? (multiply the version for linux posts times a bazllion)
-how come you need more time
-it is NOT impossible
-ok, you're changing blahblah, exactly how is that going to work and i need to know right now cause it may effect blahblah
-i dont like that change, you should do it <insert desire here>
-whats to think about
-i held off writing my wondermous script cause you said blahblah and now blahblah
-etc.. all of which only Khaled could answer so even more of his time would be taken up.

I imagine Khaled has a very long, ever evolving to-do list. I would also imagine he spends a lot of time trying to do one thing only to end up doing something totally different for any number of reasons. So in addition to working on mIRC, reading these forums, and answering a few thousand emails a day, ppl now think he should spend the time to make public lists of never/someday/maybe/soon which, ppl being ppl, they would think was written in stone.

Do i really need to point out how often ppl ask the same thing that has been asked before only cause they didnt bother to use the search feature? Or dont care that its been brought up before? A list would be one more speeddial "click on this url" reply.

Users are a HUGE part of what makes a program successful, and its pretty obvious that Khaled cares about what users would like and wants to see input... but i really dont see why that requires advance notice of things under consideration/being worked on.

TheGame: i dont think its so much a matter of "keeping users in the dark" as the very nature of programming and what i said above. An estimated time of arrival would have ppl asking every 5 minutes..is it now? is it soon? it says today, where is it? are we there yet?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#11886 20/02/03 09:09 AM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Like I said, someone else then Khalad (that are active here) should make a list of all things suggested, that are not already in mIRC. So Kahlad easy and fast can see the ideas. That would help him, and not making it harder for him.

Also normal members can easy scan the list to see that they dont suggest alread suggested things.

It should be sticky ofcouse beacue else it would eventually dissapear from first page.

Last edited by StriderGU; 20/02/03 09:10 AM.
#11887 20/02/03 11:12 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

yeah..then we would get "143423 million" of:
-when is soon
- a new version is out and it isnt there, how come
- i want it NOW
-what do you mean never, why not?? (multiply the version for linux posts times a bazllion)
-how come you need more time
-it is NOT impossible
-ok, you're changing blahblah, exactly how is that going to work and i need to know right now cause it may effect blahblah
-i dont like that change, you should do it <insert desire here>
-whats to think about
-i held off writing my wondermous script cause you said blahblah and now blahblah
-etc.. all of which only Khaled could answer so even more of his time would be taken up.

Well there is evidence the the contrary. And it is the example I provided in my original post. Expanded dialog support. Khaled, many releases ago said once 16bit was dropped, dialog support would be expanded. Well since then, it hasn't. Yet, even so, we do not have every other day someone saying "when are sliders/richedit/insert-other-controls-here gonna be added?" Or "you said it would be done when 16bit was gone, why hasn't it been done yet?" etc, etc. So why do you think it would be any different for other features?

Also, as a software developer myself, one that does publish a todo list, I can say, yes some people are like that "WHY DID YOU REMOVE [insert feature here]???" "WHY DID YOU ADD [insert feature here]???" but the majority are just people who want to be kept up to speed on how development is going.

#11888 21/02/03 03:21 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree poppy. The suspense and curiosity is what makes me download the new versions so quickly. grin

#11889 21/02/03 12:11 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Same here! smirk

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#11890 26/02/03 07:36 PM
J
Jah Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
J
It's an extra christmas for me:)

#11891 01/03/03 03:51 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
I actually use X-chat as I might have mentioned...

I still think mIRC features are really important, as it sets the standard for what all other clients should have. For instance, that crappy DCC server on port 59... X-Chat is apparently implementing it now. mIRC color? From mIRC.

Just like people watch W3C and Microsoft when they want to know about new WWW standards, IRC users can watch mIRC.

As for this requested features list, why not just make it a Wiki?

Link Copied to Clipboard