mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
I am completely lost on how this could be caused, how to fix it, or even where to begin looking. I checked the FAQ and tried some of the stuff it said in there for other server issues, but none of them worked. If someone could help me with this, I would love them for all of eternity...

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Most people who get this error are connecting to DALnet, which has been under DDoS attack recently, so they have blocked connections to some of their network (resulting in this error).

If you are desperate to get on DALnet pick a server from this list, otherwise you would be better off using another network for now.

Note: You would have gotten an answer much faster by Searching the boards.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Look in the connection area here, specifically the sticky threads about connection errors and DALnet update. Basically, dont use ramdom server to connect, use a specific server name.

Using the search feature here, all forums, and expand the date range will find you the answers to many common questions.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
H
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
Scratch this - I tried a couple other server like undernet and effnet and then I tried another one and it worked... So...

I get this with all servers I attempt to connect to though.

See, I have mIRC on three machines. Two of which are on different IP addresses (same ISP), and none of them can connect to any server. I never had this problem until Mediacom (mchsi.com) apparently underwent some server changes, and from what I gathered, they had to redo almost everything software.

If it's my ISP, then does anyone know how I can get around this without switching ISPs (Mediacom is the only Cable provider in the area, and T1s are just a little bit too expensive...).

Note: Ok, now I feel stupid...

Last edited by hate_beauty; 18/02/03 11:26 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The "Cant Assign..." error means the server is unreachable to anyone, generally cause its admins have purposely changed it to resolve incorrectly. It doesnt have anything to do with your isp or machines. If your isp was having some dns probs, you would be getting a diff error.

I'm a bit confused, so if you could clarify please: you said "I tried another one and it worked" followed by "I get this with all servers I attempt to connect to though" Could you or couldnt you connect to any servers on any networks at all?

This error is coming up most commonly when ppl try to connect to Random server on a network. Try connecting to a specific linked server trying both their alpha and numeric. You can find a list of them on each networks website (which you can find by using your favorite browser)

All of this is stated in the theads i suggested you read.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard