mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
R
I am wondering whether or not it is possible for me to have my own irc network (I am not sure if I am using the correct term), But what I mean is that for me to have my own irc.mydomain.com or somewhat. Like I can install Apache on my OS and then buy a domain then direct the domain to my IP address.

Can anyone assist me?

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
If you would like to host your own server to have people chat on, then you could use a number of different engines to host your server. Some of the more popular ones are at www.unrealircd.com and www.ircxpro.com. I hope this helps.

Last edited by alkahol1k; 24/04/05 07:37 AM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
He didnt ask for what to use.

He asked if he can buy irc.domainname.com, and i beleive the answer is yes.
Exactly if you buy irc.ect etc or if you buy the domainname and then get irc. added I dont have the slightest idea, I know things like www.domainname.com and irc.domainname.com dont have to go to the same place so its quite possable you have to buy them sepeartly.

K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
I'm not sure what you're asking for, so I'll try to cover about everything.

For a web server you get a server with public ip address (like 1.2.5.8) that runs a web server (Apache for example.) From this moment on, you can access that website by surfing to http://1.2.5.8

Then, you can buy a domain name (mydomain.com) and have it point to that ip address 1.2.5.8. Once you have a domain, you can make as many subdomains (www.mydomain.com, irc.mydomain.com, i.like.to.use.leet.stuff.mydomain.com, ...) as you want and have those names point to wherever you want (your server would be a good place, but you could also have it point to your home computer's ip address, the address of the backup server of microsoft, the lan address of your gamecube, ...) This means you have an extra way to get to a server or computer instead of memorizing 4 numbers.
If you have one server running Apache, an ircd and a ftp server, you can make different dns names like irc.mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com, but they all point to the same ip address 1.2.5.8, so you could surf to ftp.mydomain.com or ftp to irc.mydomain.com, it's all the same server.

For an irc server, you download an ircd, a program that serves irc like Apache would serve a web site, and you install and run that program. Then you can do /server 1.2.5.8 in mIRC, or you can assign your server a (another) dns name and use that.

So, yes, if you have a computer thats accessible from the internet, you can run an irc server.

Note I didn't say an irc network, a network requires multiple servers running the same irc server application and being connected to each other. For linking your server to an existing network, you'll have to ask the owners of that network and get no for an answer anyway.

R
OP Offline
R
Quote:
For an irc server, you download an ircd, a program that serves irc like Apache would serve a web site, and you install and run that program. Then you can do /server 1.2.5.8 in mIRC, or you can assign your server a (another) dns name and use that.

This is what I meant.

Link Copied to Clipboard