mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#117375 15/04/05 01:38 AM
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Hey...I recently had a virus on my computer and it now pops up with an mIRC window on startup. Anyone have any clues what is starting this??

I never have even used mIRC...nor downloaded it EVER. Did someone hack onto my PC somehow?

I have been through my registry and cannot find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
typer798

#117376 15/04/05 07:33 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Unfortunately, mIRC is used in certain trojans to connect your computer to IRC and then participate in Denial of Service attacks against people, websites and/or ISPs.

You need to scan you computer with multiple virus scanners, also use an online virus scanner such as Trendmicro. Lots of links can be found in this thread. You might also wish to run spyware programs.

Search your computer for 'mIRC' and delete the mIRC.exe file. (Use Start > Search).

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#117377 15/04/05 10:06 PM
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks for the info. I had searched for mIRC on my computer and found nothing. I have also ran my computer through serveral virus scanners...I am using a few more that were in the link you provided as I am typing this.

I figured it was a Trojan virus, but I was curious if anyone would know which one would cause it on bootup of Windows.

If there are any other ideas on what would cause this, I would appreciate them as well.

Thanks,
Typer798

#117378 15/04/05 10:26 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Check that it's not in the Add/Remove Programs section, see if you can uninstall it from there.

You might want to search for 'mirc' or 'internet relay chat' with Symantec's search tool, they have a pretty extensive database.

If you didn't install mIRC, and it's starting when Windows starts, I'm 99% sure that it'll be a trojan/virus and nothing else.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#117379 16/04/05 01:25 AM
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it. I used the panda software anti-virus and it found the virus located under C:\windows\system32\7y.dll. Thought that it was interesting...

Thanks for the link. I will keep it for future use.

Here is a description of the trojan:

Common name: IRC.Mirc
Technical name: Bck/IRC.Mirc.Based
Threat level: Low
Alias: Backdoor.IRC.mIRC-based Win32.IRCFlood BackDoor-GI
Type: Trojan
Effects: Its main objetive is to spread through chat programs such as mIRC.
Affected platforms: Windows XP/2000/NT/ME/98/95
First appeared on: Nov. 28, 2002
In circulation? No

Brief Description:
IRC.Mirc is a Trojan that contains a dropper file and spreads through IRC chat applications. The dropper is a self-extracting file contains other viruses or Trojans. The effects of IRC.Mirc are particularly dangerous for Chat and IRCusers, as it uses programs like mIRC to carry out attacks on other computers.

Visible Symptoms:
IRC.Mirc is difficult to identify, as it does not display any messages or warnings that indicate that it has infected a computer.

Thanks Again!!
Typer798

Link Copied to Clipboard