mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
I hope this is the appropriate forum for this problem and that somebody can help.

First off, a long time ago, I tried out an earlier version of mIRC on my Computer, and it is still installed (I believe it's Version 5.11). At that time, I was using America Online as my Provider. However, I am no longer using it, though it is still installed on my Computer. I choose to keep it installed in case I need to go back into it and look at an EMail that I might have sent to somebody or that they responded to, so I would rather not delete it unless I have to. In addition, I am still using Windows 95 on this Computer, but please don't tell me to upgrade the OS, as that is not an option with this Computer, at least not at this time.

I recently decided that I wanted to try out mIRC again after this long hiatus, and after I logged on with my current Provider, I went to start up mIRC and ran into a problem. This problem seems to be similar to a problem described in Section 6-34 of the mIRC FAQ on the Website, in case anybody would like to refer to that section. I hope some Computer Guru out there can help me out.

When I started mIRC up ...
a requestor titled "Winsock" come up with a big red X on the left and says "Please run America Online and sign on first". When I click "OK" another requestor titled "mIRC" pops up with a big red X which says "[10091] Network Subsystem is unavailable". When I click "OK" the requestor and mIRC both close.

Since I am using Windows 95 with this software, I'm almost positive that the problem is the issue described in Section 6-34 of the mIRC FAQ, or at least related to it. However, I'm not sure how to do what is described in that section without screwing up my machine.

When I run Regedit and look at MyComputer \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \VxD\MSTCP I see the following (The HostName listed below has been chenged to protect the Innocent <g>):
Name Data
(Default) (value not set)
EnableDNS "0"
HostName "v555499"
LMHostFile "C:\WINDOWS\lmhosts"

This is all I see. I don't see the Domain and NameServer fields that the FAQ refers to. Coincidentally, the HostName listed in that key (not the one shown above) is the same as the User Name for the Dialup-Connection that I currently use.

When I go to "Network" in Control Panel, I find that there is both of the following:
TCP/IP -> Dial-up Adaptor
TCP/IP -> AOL Adaptor

The Following are also in there:
AOL Adaptor
Dial-up Adaptor
IPX/SPX compatible Protocol -> AOL Adaptor
IPX/SPX compatible Protocol -> Dial-up Adaptor
Client for Microsoft Networks
Client for NetWare Networks
NetBEUI -> Dial-up Adaptor
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

When I double click each of the 2 TCP/IP entries and look at DNS Configuration, both show that DNS is disabled.

Does anybody have any idea what I need to do to fix this problem? Once I can get the old version to work I will feel confidant enough to Download the new version and try it out.

Thanks in advance.

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
Why are you using such an old version of mirc? We are now using mirc 6.16 !!

go here for the newest version: http://www.mirc.com/get.html

E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your response, but it doesn't answer my question. I do want to install the new version of mIRC and try it out, but I would like to be able to install it over top of my old version so as to save my scripts and all that, so it makes sense that if I can't get the old one to work before installing the new one, then the new one probably won't work either. Bear in mind that when I was using AOL, mIRC worked perfectly. It just won't work with my new provider.

The reason I am guessing that this is the case is that Section 6-34 of the mIRC FAQ says "A known Windows95 flaw causes some people to report that mIRC (and several other Internet programs) tries to use the winsock software of an old provider, even if all references to that provider seem to be deleted from Windows95's setup." It also goes on to say that "If you open Regedit and look at MyComputer \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \VxD\MSTCP you will see the Domain and NameServer fields from your old provider and maybe even references to old winsock software. These fields will persist even if you uninstall Dial-Up Networking or other winsock's and re-install and go through the TCP/IP settings again!"

Now, knowing that my problem is very similar to this, are you telling me that you believe that if I go ahead and install the new version over top of the old one that my problem will be solved? If that is what you're saying, and you know for sure, then I will try it, but if you're not sure, I'd like for somebody who has had this problem (There's just bound to be somebody out there who has had this problem) to tell me how they solved it.

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
alot of old scripts don't even run on mirc 6.16 anymore so that is still my #1 suggestion. Why install it overtop of your scripts though? Just try installing it to a different directory and try connecting with a blank mirc. If you can connect with the blank one that is mirc 6.16 then the problem is your script on the older version.

As for finding someone else with windows 95 still and your new ISP, good luck it might be tough.

E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
OK, well then, I will just try a new installation of the latest version and let you know what happens.

It's obvious that you're correct about not too many people knowing how to solve this problem since nobody else has responded. I have a few things to do in the next couple of days, so it will probably be 3 or 4 days before I try this.

Thanks for your help.

A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
Upgrade to Windows XP.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If you'd bother reading his original post, based on the age,etc. of his computer that's not an option at this time.

Quote:
I am still using Windows 95 on this Computer, but please don't tell me to upgrade the OS, as that is not an option with this Computer, at least not at this time.

A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
Oops, missed it. Sorry EEM.

Link Copied to Clipboard