Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#116479 05/04/05 11:45 AM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
What would happen if someone in australia is activley promoting, supplying and instructing on how to apply a crack to get around the evaluation timer on thier web site?

#116480 05/04/05 11:54 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Would you like to find out?

#116481 05/04/05 11:59 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm curious as to what action would be taken as I know someone who is doing just what I stated in the ealier post. The web page is on his server and I believe it is located at his premisis.
I have his:
Web Addy
Name
Home Address
Phone etc
PS I really don't think much of him or his attitude to the license agreement

#116482 05/04/05 06:17 PM
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
It's not like they are cops. I doubt there is a whole lot they could do. crazy

"God sometimes puts us in the dark for us to see the light"
#116483 05/04/05 06:23 PM
S
OP Offline
S
haha true enough. I guess some action could be taken to discourage it though, if anyone cared enough....

#116484 05/04/05 07:23 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I have sent emails to web hosts before informing them of websites that are supplying scripts that contain a registered version of the mirc.exe. All 4 times I've done this, those accounts have been terminated. Another website I reported was warned first and then terminated just for hosting abusive flood scripts.

You should report them to their web hosts, (if it has its own domain name and isn't a free web host, then you can do a WHOIS look up on it at a site such as www.samspade.org and find the abuse email address).

You should make sure that it's that website hosting the actual files though.

Btw, no need to report your own posts to moderators smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#116485 06/04/05 03:59 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I don't know, I may have missed something here. This guy hosts his own web site on his own serve, he supplies scripts with mIRC included in them. So what your saying is that I should email him and ask him to take it down?
I suspect he would have a good laugh at that.
grin

#116486 06/04/05 06:11 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
contact his ISP

#116487 08/04/05 02:38 AM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
honestly, are you losing sleep because he didn't pay for mirc?

#116488 08/04/05 09:09 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Who said anything about losing sleep?

What he seems to be bothered about (quite rightly) is the person is getting a lot of other people to do the same thing, offering instructions on the web, encouraging it, etc.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#116489 08/04/05 11:24 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thats it you got guys working full time on this program for our enjoyment and without it where would we be? I am a programmer and if I worked as hard on something I would damn well expect to be paid for it.
anyways
peace

#116490 09/04/05 08:25 PM
N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
Quote:
Thats it you got guys working full time on this program for our enjoyment and without it where would we be? I am a programmer and if I worked as hard on something I would damn well expect to be paid for it.

Khaled isnt working on this client practically at all any more, let alone "full time". The time he worked "hard" on this client was somwhere in the middle of the 90s. Since then there were just small feature enhacements and the occasional bug fix.

Siince the amounts of money rolling in with mirc registrations are so wast, he doesnt even seem to have an incentive to further develop the client. Since no other client can handle the mirc script language, and the kids seem to be still so upbeat about those scriptz, despite the antique Interface mirc is cursed with, he can be sure that for the years to come no other client will even come near to the irc throne, and that the money will continue to roll in, even if he doesnt move a toe any more. Hell, even the monopolist Microsoft invests money and manhours in further development. and doesnt repose on the outcomes of a work they did ten years ago. Imagine how happy you were using Windows 95 today, including the one or another bugfix. But what Khaled does, is exactly that: Doing nothing but still making money of a work done out of a hobby ten years ago.

In this light, chasing down a guy who has some serial number on his website with torches and hay forks like a filthy heretic seems highly exaggregated.

#116491 09/04/05 10:53 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I'm sorry, but do you know anything about what Khaled does in the background? Do you speak to him personally, are you aware of every aspect of his personal life? If not, how can you claim what you just said?

He only worked hard in the mid-90s? Well that's weird, because mIRC was only born in the mid-90s, and it's quite obvious he's worked on it quite a bit since then otherwise it wouldn't really have become popular. Multi-server support was only added in 2002, and the last major release of mIRC was 2003, and the last release of mIRC in general was 2004. Despite there not being another version so far, the mIRC homepage is still updated as is servers.ini, there have been no announcements that mIRC's development has ceased - so, as far as I see, there is little to suggest Khaled has given up on mIRC and just sits with a pina colada watching the money roll in.

What I do know, and yes, I can tell you personally, is Khaled is not the type of man to make fools of people or cheat people out of money or anything else for that matter. He doesn't lie to anyone about his stance on mIRC, and although, yes, people do pay their earned money towards mIRC, he does have a life to lead like everyone else, and his goals/aims in life should not be hindered forever by the development of an IRC client.

I'm sure Khaled is perfectly aware of the "competition" to his client, and realises that other clients are in very active development. Most of those clients are mentioned on this very website, no attempt is made to cover them up as alternatives. And actually, I've spoken to several authors of other major IRC clients, all of whom realise that mIRC is a good IRC client, that a lot of hard work has been and is put into it, and are not trying to go to war with mIRC, but just feel that their clients can be better as far as their concerned. There's nothing wrong with that, is there? It doesn't make either client a bad one as far as I can see.

Let's not start making wild assumptions and spawning rumours, although, that said, I was surprised it took this long for them to be posted smirk

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#116492 11/04/05 12:53 AM
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
I agree with Mentality whole heartedly on this one. I can't believe what I'm seeing here..

If you take a look at some of the earlier versions of mIRC, you will see how drastically the program has altered. I have been using it since the summer of 1999, it has changed a great deal even in the last five or six years.

Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud, but when I look at some of these newer clients, I shake my head at the shear amount of side panels, information bars, confusing logging options, slow dialogs etc... I go straight back to mIRC because its simple. You chat with it, what else do you need?!

Plus it has to be said that the mIRC text display system is far better than most of these newer ones...

#116493 11/04/05 03:45 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I suggest you use the client that he worked hard on then, and dont use the 6.16 client then eh! See how smarty pants you feel after your scripts dont work, and everyone exploits you.

#116494 11/04/05 05:12 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
i agree with you mentality 100%

it's kinda ignorant of someone to assume like that only because they don't see progress where they want it.. mirc has come a very long ways, i myself have only been using mirc since version 5.9. but i know Khaled has been and still is working hard to come up with ways to improve on his baby and it shows!

i have heard however, that there is a new version of mirc comming out soon.(although it hasn't been announced on the board yet, officially(i don't think))...(sorry). and i'm mentioning it only as testament to the fact that Khaled is continuosly working hard to improve mirc.

#116495 12/04/05 07:08 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:

i have heard however, that there is a new version of mirc comming out soon.(although it hasn't been announced on the board yet, officially(i don't think))...(sorry).

Last I knew, Khaled doesn't announce a version update until the day it is released.

C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Post deleted by clutz1572

#116497 12/04/05 03:48 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Are you talking about this? If so, that was an april fools joke.

New username: hixxy
#116498 12/04/05 03:57 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
yeah i just found that out!

but oh, well " Once A Fool Always A Fool! "

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard