mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Well... Can you help ? mIRC doesn't even start since I've got a new wireless Internet connection, and the mIRC icon is now blank. Other applications (including other IRC clients) work well, but when I try to launch mIRC, Windows says (excuse my rough translation), that it "can't access the device, because I have no right to do so".

It seems it's because of all that Windows user profiles. The only way to use mIRC is for me to launch mIRC while not being connected to the internet, then connect, and it works until the next reboot. What the... ? Umm... can anyone help ? Thank you in advance !

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I have to admit that this is the first I've heard of this problem. My first suggestion is to have you uninstall mIRC and then re-install it as a fresh installation, rather than as an upgrade installation.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Sounds like your windows is kaput! rather than mirc. I have used wireless and its instantlly ok

S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Thank you for your valuable replies !

I'd love to reinstall it, but it seems that I am not uninstalling it properly. Here's what I did:

1) Tried to uninstall it - but Windows can't open the uninstallation log and states that it can only remove the application from the uninstallation window...

2) I manually deleted the mIRC directory, then tried to find all registry entries with "mIRC" and deleted them.

Result: still no luck.

I had similar problem with Pirch98 a year or two before, that's why I'd love to know how to correct it without reinstalling Windows...

Although I am not a programmer, but it seems that mIRC writes its registry entries in such a way, so not all users of the machine can use it. When I am connecting to the Internet, Windows automagically changes users (?) and so the system is using different part of the registry.

If I am right, this would explain why the mIRC icon is blank and why I can use mIRC if I install and start it before connecting to the internet.

Can you tell me, how to fully (and manually) uninstall mIRC, or is there any other way to fix the problem, please ?

thank you in advance for your help,

Sebastian

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you've removed all of the registry entries for mIRC, and manually deleted the mIRC directory (and any other references to mIRC on your system, excluding the mIRC installation program), make sure you reboot your system, then connect to the internet, then install mIRC, ensuring that the first two checkboxes in the installation dialog are unchecked. The third one doesn't really matter, it's just for the icons. That should give you a completely fresh installation of mIRC.

If that doesn't work, I'll need to know what version of Windows you're running, including if you have all of the updates for that version or not...If you don't have all the updates, I'd recommend you get them.

S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Thank you very much for your help !

I will do it... Stay tuned... (click, click, click)

Link Copied to Clipboard