#115822 30/03/05 04:44 PM
A
AaronL Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
A
Hi all.

today a guy came into my room and said that my routine has a leak and he 'proved' me this with a command he used:

ChaoZero //say $dll(C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll, ExitProcess, 1)

within 3 seconds my mIRC was closed?
I wrote a routine that he used according himself. my routine was. /msg triviabot write <naam> <tekst>.
He typed: /msg triviabot write hisname //say etc.

you can read the text by using /msg triviabor read.

so i removed my routine. Question is: can he do so without the routine. i mean: just send that command to my bot which will cause the closedown of the mIRC?

with regards
Aaron

Deridio fatum
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Any script which allows a person to tell a bot to "say" something can be used to cause all kinds of problems if you don't have protections included in the script to prevent that. You can't just send that message to normal mIRC and cause it to close. What happens is that your bot was repeating the command and that's always a danger.

You can put preventative code into your script to prevent such problems by checking any text sent to the bot for various commands which you wouldn't want used. For example, you would want to accept any message which includes //decode or //write or $dll. You could just use an if statement and halt the command if those are in the msg sent to the bot.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
AaronL Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
A
Hi Riamus2

Thanks for the fast reply.
i will make the changes you suggest.

With regards
Aaron

Deridio fatum
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
*EDIT* Just for clarification, I missed a word in my previous post... you do *NOT* want to accept messages with //decode or //write or $dll. And, you can probably choose to prevent other things as well depending what you want it to actually do.

For example, if you are just having it say messages to the channel, you could prevent all that start with / or // which would solve most those problems.

Example if statement:

if (/* iswm $3) {
.notice $2 Invalid text.
halt
}

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Question is: can he do so without the routine. i mean: just send that command to my bot which will cause the closedown of the mIRC?

No. A part of your script is flawed, and it's probably the part where the bot reads from the file again. If the $read() call you have, does not use the 'n' flag, it will evaluate any identifiers in the line you're reading, including $dll, $eval, $findfile and so on. Usually, adding the 'n' flag will solve the problem (see also /help $read); just filtering out a few identifiers is not sufficient.

If you're not sure about what to do exactly, please paste the relevant routine here (including the /write and $read stuff), and we will help you... smile

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
(reply not directed at Sat)

The n flag is of course the best to stop that, but i also do this alot now (before writting it to the file)

user text is in %text

var %text = $replace(%text,$,$,%,%,|,|,[,[,],],$({,),$+(,$({,)),$(},),$+(,$(},)))

Just wacks two BOLDS before anything that might do anything, so /echo %text looks just the same, but if saved to a file or anywhere where it might get contents evaluation it wont evaluate to anythying since something like $time doesnt evaluate.

A
AaronL Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
A
Hi all

Here is the piece of code i use

Code:

if ($$1 == lees) { set %ReadName $nick | set %bericht $read($mircdirtxtfiles\messages.ini, s, $nick) | if (%bericht == $null) { /notice %Readname Sorry $nick $+ , ik heb geen bericht[en] meer gevonden. | close -cm %ReadName | halt } |  /notice $nick message $+ : %bericht | /write -ds $+ $nick $mircdirtxtfiles\messages.ini | close -cm $nick } 

if ($$1 == schrijf) { 
    set %MessName $$2 
    set %message $mid($1-,9,250) 
    if (//decode isin %message) || (//write isin %message) || (//$dll isin %message) || (//say isin %message) { /notice $nick hacken is niet toegestaan! | /ban -k #trivia $nick Hacken is NIET toegestaan. | halt }
    write $mircdirtxtfiles\messages.ini %message ( gepost door $nick op $date ) 
    close -cm $nick | /notice $nick je bericht is opgeslagen! 
  } 

reactions are in Dutch, but i presume this isn't a problem smile

With regards
Aaron

Deridio fatum
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Code:

if ($$1 == lees) { set %ReadName $nick | set %bericht $read($mircdirtxtfiles\messages.ini,  [color:blue]n[/color]s, $nick) | if (%bericht == $null) { /notice %Readname Sorry $nick $+ , ik heb geen bericht[en] meer gevonden. | close -cm %ReadName | halt } |  /notice $nick message $+ : %bericht | /write -ds $+ $nick $mircdirtxtfiles\messages.ini | close -cm $nick } 
  if ($$1 == schrijf) { 
    set %MessName $$2 
    set %message $mid($1-,9,250) 
    if ($[color:blue]![/color]decode isin %message) || (//write isin %message) || ($[color:blue]![/color]dll isin %message) || (//say isin %message) { /notice $nick hacken is niet toegestaan! | /ban -k #trivia $nick Hacken is NIET toegestaan. | halt }
     [color:blue]%message = $replace(%message,$,$,%,%,|,|,[,[,],],$({,),$+(,$({,)),$(},),$+(,$(},)))[/color] 
    write $mircdirtxtfiles\messages.ini %message ( gepost door $nick op $date ) 
    close -cm $nick | /notice $nick je bericht is opgeslagen! 
  } 

Adjust it so it looks like above and you should be resonably safe,

n stops the line from running any commands in it
$!decode and not //decode as its $decode the "!" stops mirc from mistakenly evaluating it in your line
$!dll the same as $decode above
%message = $replace(%message,$,$,%,%,|,|,[,[,],],$({,),$+(,$({,)),$(},),$+(,$(},))) this is a backstop to the n as this well make anything else like $time not change to the time if you did forget the n

A
AaronL Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
A
Hi DaveC

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have changed it accordingly your tips.
i should be resonably safe now i hope.

With regards
Aaron

Deridio fatum
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You can just write the text to the file exactly as it was spoken now that you've added the 'n' flag to $read(), there's no need for that big chunk of code in blue.

New username: hixxy
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Did you read the last line of my post, I did mention that myself.

Link Copied to Clipboard