mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Sorry, not sure what to name this suggestion... but here it is.

An option to display N lines of recent chat below the scrolling point. This would allow for scrolling the buffer while monitoring the current conversation.

That is, your virtical scroll bar would be elevated N lines and would only effect those lines older than N. This should effect channels, messages, chats, etc. It should also be a switch option for custom /windows.

Thanks.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Kinda like a split screen view on the same channel?

Sounds ok to me, I would see it being transparent to any of the window manipulation commands (aline etc) as its the same window just a second view of it.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Kinda. Here's a screen cap of what i mean.

The bottom 3 lines are the 3 most recent lines in the channel. Looking at the vertical scroll bar, the 4th line from the bottom and above are from earlier conversation in the chat buffer.

Perhaps a background color can be given to the new lower portion of the chat buffer while scrolled up, to indicate separation between the two and as a reminder that you're looking at old text.

H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
That would be sexy. Would mean i could scroll through stuff that i missed (which i do a lot) while still having current stuff show up. If this were to be implemented, i don't think that we'd need the option to beep while in buffer anymore (i always have to scroll all the way down, only to find that half the time it was just a join or something)

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
And since mirc windows are completely custom drawn objects, this should be a realistic feature suggestion! laugh Clicking and dragging on the area below the vertical scroll could even adjust the height-- snapping to each line position.

I can't wait for Khaled to add this. wink

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Brilliant idea, this would be extremely useful. smile

New username: hixxy
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Sounds just like split screen, MSWord is an example of split screen incase anyones never seen it (put ya mouse on the little rectangle above the top vertical scroll arrow and pull down)

Even the adjustable size sounds like split screen logic, except in generic split screens either can be scrolled, but i like the idea of the lower one being an adjustable in size, but locked at the bottom. I would like to see it being possable for custom windows as well but have the location able to be the first or last lines of the window, just a duel view of the same window, so any existing scripts should run seamlessly, as they dont know/care about which window you might be in, (hotlinks etc)

On the whole I say Excellent Idea, am i repeating myself saying that?, yes I am, well must be becuase I think its an Excellent idea. Did I mention i think its a Excellent idea? Oh yes i did.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
* Mentality joins the supporters smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Great idea smile
I would just like to add that there should
the option to disable it, of course.

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 15/03/05 04:09 PM.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
sounds like a great idea espceially if we can configure how many times we want "frozen" (aka the current conversation) so if I want the past 10 lines of the chat and scroll the others, I can smile Either way, I vote aye!

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
that'll be sexy laugh

$maybe
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
If it gets done.. it'll be interesting how many people bitch about not having emoticons again.. pointing out it coulda been done at the same time.. tho personally i wouldnt use it.. mmm ASCII

C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
The suggestion almost remindes me of the way BitchX displayed a blue bar at the bottom of the screen that keeps track of user statistics while the rest of the chat continues to be posted above it. Perhaps to expand on the idea, this 2nd scrollable area could also be used with the /window command, so custom/picture windows have the split screen capability... It would allow for some interesting combinations for those who like to use custom windows as an emulated chat window for display purposes. Im definately all for it.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I guess you can all think of it as a split screen sort of view. However, from a technical aspect, I believe Khaled would accomplish this effect by using the existing display controls and simply scrolling the buffer text down to a certain line, leaving lines below it uneffected.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I know older Word (among other programs that Im not familiar with) and Excel allowed for "split screen" so hey, it shouldnt be TOO hard*

* - Too hard being a totally relative term ;-)

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
what do u mean older word? they all do it.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
cause I didnt try it with any newer versions? smile I have 2k and never tried it in that (didnt have the need to), but it's nice to know it's still there

B
Babel fish
Babel fish
B
it would be much harder then just scrolling the real text leaving the bottom three lines unaffected that i can promise lol

hmmm signed by me
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Hmm..

When you would move the scroll bar down to be back at the bottom of the convo, would the scrollbar continue to shrink & the text would move up as normal?

^ Like that? Then I could scroll up and it would goto the older crap, but not mess with the bottom lines?

I think I understand, just making sure..

I join the support group. ;O! Sounds awesome.

Live to Dream & Dream for Life
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Since you have no idea exactly how the graphical windows in mIRC are made, I don't think you could say that for sure.

New username: hixxy

Link Copied to Clipboard