mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
N
I was wondering about something. There are many servers on the IRC network. If I'm on Undernet, and I join a channel, will all "see" the users across the whole Undernet network who are on that channel or will I just be "seeing" that channel with that perticular server? In other words, if I join a channel will I join the entire channel on the network or server? Thanks.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
all servers on a network are linked together (unless they "netsplit") so what happens in 1 server will be seen in all the others on that network.

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
What Danthemando said, except...

#channel = network wide
&channel = local to that specific server

if you /join #channel on undernet you will be chatting with all users on undernet who are on that channel.
if you /join &channel on undernet you will be chatting only with users on the same server who are on that channel - probably none. laugh

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:

&channel = local to that specific server

Nope they arent.. im from sweden, and i can chat with people from *.us on a &channels, and since they arent allowed on *.se servers, then they must be able to join the &channels from a *.us server.. this is on ircnet tho, but why use "local" channels? that take away the whole point in a irc-network, and what i know you cant have a "local" channel on any networks, the &channels was firstly created to stop takeovers, "they are harder to split in to", dont ask me why and how, but that was why they inplanted them on ircnet servers..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Quoting http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/misc/ccosmos.html#Heading666
Quote:
3.2 Local channels
A channel with the "&" prefix instead of “#” (e.g &chat) is a channel that is local to your server. People from other IRC-servers can't join, can’t find it in the channel-listing and can't spot you'r in it, unless they retrieve a remote whois. (2.6)

Quoting http://ircnet.irchelp.org/channel.html
Quote:
&channel
&Channels have modes and are local[4] Actually a &channel can exist on various servers on your network, however every same-named &channel on the different servers will be unique, i.e. it will NOT share information about users or propagate messages to other servers. There are various &channels created automatically by the server (for example &servers) where different data about events happening on the server are displayed.

Are you sure you're not thinking of ircnet's !channels?

Link Copied to Clipboard