Print Thread
#112429 24/02/05 02:15 AM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Hi .. I download this program mIRC and i am trying to use it with this site here http://www.9412.com but i have no clue as to how to go about it , All I know is I get this rooms or at least they look like rooms but there never seem to be anyone half the time in them , Where can a beginner like myself learn to just to get a very simple way to understand how this mIRC works ?? Thanks

#112430 24/02/05 02:59 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Firstly, from everyone on the forum welcome to mIRC.

Here is a brief description of mIRC and it's capabilities found in the mIRC FAQ.

1 What is mIRC?
mIRC is a shareware IRC Chat client for Windows. It is developed and copyrighted by Khaled Mardam-Bey. For those of you new to the Internet, IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. The IRC network is a virtual meeting place where people from all over the world can meet and talk (well, type). On IRC you meet others on "channels" (rooms, virtual places, usually with a certain topic of conversation) to talk in groups, or privately. There is no restriction to the number of people that can participate in a given discussion, or the number of channels that can be formed on IRC. As a user you run a "client" program like mIRC which connects to a "server" in an IRC network. All servers are interconnected and pass messages from user to user over the IRC network. One server can be connected to several other servers and up to hundreds of clients. If you need more information on IRC go to mIRC's www Homepages where a lot of additional information is given.
mIRC attempts to provide a user-friendly interface for use with the IRC network. It has a lot of features some of which are :
  • A powerful dynamic /help command.
    Netscape, Mosaic and MS Internet Explorer support .... surf the www waves !!
  • An 'off you go' Toolbar.... and even Tooltips !
  • A very handy Switchbar.
  • A user programmable menu bar.
  • A simple and smart CTCP commands and Events handler.
  • Support for wav and midi sound files.
  • Colored text to ease reading.
  • Simple, fully configurable aliases.
  • Configurable popup menus.
  • Full DCC Send/Get/Chat support.
  • Full configurable fonts and colors and support of bold, underline and reverse text.
  • Built in Ident and Finger server.
  • A simple but powerful and safe built-in File server.
  • Programmable Function keys.

The various parts of the program have been designed with the aim of simplifying and speeding up your IRC sessions. mIRC is made to be very configurable... there are a lot of simple switches you can use to personalize mIRC to your needs. And unlike a lot of other IRC programs mIRC still gets more and more mature every new version. You can define your own commands and implement your personal reactions to commands others give to your client. All this does not make mIRC a bot program, and it doesn’t even support IRCii scripting and possibly a large number of other things... But it has much of the same functionality, thanks to the Remote Commands and Events and various other features... and what do you need a war script for, anyway? I think mIRC will help you to focus on the main point; IRC is for Chatting ....

You've just downloaded mIRC, you need to setup mIRC before exploring a whole new world in IRC perspective.

Click View > Optionss Alt+O

Click on Connect parent in the treeview.

Put whatever you want in the four fields: Full Name:, E-mail Address:, NicknameL, Alternative Nickname:

Alternatively, you can fill out that without going into the Connect section of mIRC Options if you don't wish to.

Type the following in Status.

/fullname Anything you want here.
/emailaddr Anything you want here.
/nick Your preferred and desired nickname here.
/anick An alternative nickame here.

Ok, we're all setup and ready to chat.

There are thousands of IRC servers to choose from..

Open mIRC Options (Alt + O) as I stated earlier, click on the server part. We have IRC Server: and a drop down box, you can click on it and get a list of IRC servers.

When you have found an IRC server you would like to go on, click the Connect To Server button, you have just downloaded mIRC so servers.ini file should be there in your mIRC directory. However, should you not happen to see the list of mIRC servers you can download the servers file from here and simply place it into your mIRC directory.

There's some more information available for you here that you might find useful posted by Mentality.

Other than that, come back if you need further assistance and we'll be glad to help you with anything else.

Happy chatting! smile

#112431 24/02/05 03:16 AM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Hi Sladekraven ... Can you explain how to add in the directory ? I want to add this here , Thanks

n276=Peacefulhaven: Random serverSERVER:irc2.peacefulhaven.net:6660-6669GROUP:Peacefulhaven

#112432 24/02/05 03:20 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
All you have to do is drag the file servers.ini into the mIRC folder.

Alternatively in mIRC status window type:
/server irc2.peacefulhaven.net

Then type /list to view the channels available to you.

#112433 24/02/05 04:02 AM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Hi ... I know this sounds very simple for most but I have never used ths mIRC program before and with all these option available with this program it is really difficult to understand it but I don't believe in given up , Now Sladekraven I thank you for helping and I really appreciated , but could you explain as to how to drag this server into the folder , If possible something like a step by step instruction ? I did try to copy and paste this /server irc2.peacefulhaven.net
into the mIRC status window just like you suggested , but it didnt' seem to work , Was it because I didn't have it in the mIRC folder ? Thanks

Last edited by MoonDog; 24/02/05 04:03 AM.
#112434 24/02/05 04:15 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There is a simple way without dragging and dropping into the mIRC directory.

If you click on that servers.ini URL I showed above you can click Open, Save or Cancel. And you can save it into the mIRC directory.

As for the server command not working, it has nothing to do with the servers.ini so that's odd why that wont work. What happens when you type: /server irc2.peacefulhaven.net

Make sure you press the return key after typing it..

It should look like..

-
[04:14] * Connecting to irc2.peacefulhaven.net (6667)
-

#112435 24/02/05 04:25 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
In options (alt+ o , or second icon from left at the top) there is the top most listing, "Connect" then under it is "Servers"...... in there you can add and delete the servers you want to do either to. mIRC comes with a lot of them in there already so look and see if the one you want is already there..... if not use the "ADD" button.
Description can be anything you want(try and keep it simple to avoid confusion).
IRC Server will be your IRC server name: example irc.network.com .
Ports will be a predetermined port or a port range: example 6999 or 6667 - 6999
Group will be a group name for if say there are 7 servers on the network , add all 7 server names to 1 group.
example network.com and network.net and network.edu could all be listed in NetworkRandom group that you would create. You would simply add each one and where it asks for group just put in NetworkRandom as the group name and they will all be in that group.

#112436 24/02/05 05:30 AM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Thanks SladeKraven for your assistance , much appreciated , Thanks !!

Last edited by MoonDog; 24/02/05 05:36 AM.
#112437 24/02/05 05:35 AM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Hi JAFO ... I follow your instruction and i finally got it to work , I did it , Thank You ! ... Though I am curious as to the part where you mention the group part , How do you know where these group are ? I mean where do you see how many server ?? Thanks

#112438 24/02/05 06:03 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
When you open that part of options there in the "IRC Network" area is the "Groupname" and in "IRC Server" is the server in the group. So lets say I add 1 server with this info:
Description: MyNet
IRC Server: irc.network.net
Port:6667
Group: Networked
Now lets say once i connect to that irc server (Its fictional by the way) i find out they have 2 more servers. So now i add each of those servers the same way but with the appropriate server names:
Description:MyCom
Server:irc.network.com and
Description: MyEdu
Server:irc.network.edu.
Now when i select the "Groupname" of "Networked" in the "IRC Network" area it will now give me 3 options in the "IRC Server" section and they will be ...
MyCom
MyNet
MyEdu
but they will show as whatever you named them in description so the first one will show as MyNet. So Description is what they will be named in the "IRC Server" area. Omg too much coffee..... is that overly repeditive??

#112439 24/02/05 07:46 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You're welcome.

#112440 24/02/05 02:24 PM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Okay I somewhat understand what you are trying to say , but what I can't get is where do you see these server ?? Because once I log on and get connected I get the welcome to the peacefulhaven IRC network , then there is a bunch other stuff and then I see >> There are 77 users and 27 invisible on 4 servers , 15 operator(s) online
58 channels formed , I have 40 clients and 2 servers , Then I get a welcome to Arizona server of peacefulhaven networks and a whole bunch of stuff about peacefulhaven , But again No where am I able to view these servers , Are they listed ? Or should they be listed ? Thanks

#112441 24/02/05 04:46 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Im sorry, type /links in the status window, in most cases that will show you every server for the network. As an example i go to newnet .... the newnet random server ( the one that will just try to connect you to the first available server on the network ) is irc.newnet.net. But newnet has 9 active servers on the network and i might choose to connect to a specific one. Now i can look at ALL the server names for newnet and add each one individualy.... so if there is one in Denmark and one in Toronto... since i live close to Toronto i might want to connect to that one specifically. So i will if i like just add them all, but when i connect i can try to connect to whatever one in that list i so choose.

This isnt required at all .... the irc.newnet.net info alone will connect me to that network, just it will connect me to the first server it can... adding specific server info for that network just allows me to choose what one i want to connect to.

As for all that stuff on joining , thats called the "Message Of The Day"... its just info about the server you have joined.

Edit:
services.peacefulhaven.net
atlanta.peacefulhaven.net
defender.peacefulhaven.net
jasper.peacefulhaven.net
Are the names of all the servers on the network you go to.

Last edited by JAFO; 24/02/05 04:52 PM.
#112442 24/02/05 06:16 PM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Oh ok cool I got it , Thanks ... I am from Toronto ( Go Leafs Go ) Well maybe not this season lol , Any ways thanks dude for your help much appreciated , Thanks!!

#112443 24/02/05 06:18 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I am moving to Calgary in mid may from England. grin

#112444 24/02/05 06:53 PM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I have been there twice in my life time and loved each time too , I believe you are going to like it , make sure you check out sylvan lake in the summer time , its north of Calgary but its worth it

#112445 24/02/05 06:54 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Already been there mate, went in Jul 2003. Was there for a month.

#112446 24/02/05 08:05 PM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
So then will you be looking forward to the move or not ? The cost of living is a lot cheaper from where you are from ...

#112447 25/02/05 02:30 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Totally looking forward to it and youre' right, it's alot cheaper especially 7-11 shop. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is that when I do move I'll be working so I wont be on here and mIRC as a whole.

So, the day I leave for the airport is the last day I'm on here. frown

It sure is going to be weird, I may not know alot about mIRC, alot about scripting but I do try to help others as best as I can. On here I've made several friends that I hope to e-mail from work as frequent as I can.

There has been a few people that I haven't got on with, and a few people that I didn't hit it off with, i.e. Mentality had minor disagreements in the past and for those who have been here since late December 2002 you'll know what I'm talking about.

But in all honesty I will definately miss you all, you've been great company.

Anyways, lets cross that bridge when it comes to it. smile

Last edited by SladeKraven; 25/02/05 03:34 PM.
#112448 25/02/05 03:59 PM
M
MoonDog Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Well SladeKraven the way I see it you can't make everyone happy , its in possible , But If your heart is in the right place ? Thats all you can ask for , What really counts is that you believe that you are a good person and If you are ? It will always show ... Sorry though that you wouldn't be able to stay around , I'm sure your friends on here will miss you , I do thank you for trying to help me with my problem , Well good luck in your new beginning , All the best !

MoonDog

Link Copied to Clipboard