Print Thread
P
Phant0m Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Hey

mIRC v6.16 and possibly older versions by the looks of things around here on the mIRC forums, the File Transfers (DCC) through regular means “/DCC send <nickname>” isn’t compatible with XP SP2.

File Sender, client sends request containing connection info (IP and ports)
File Receiver, client receives request, File Receiver accepts, File Receiver client makes TCP initiating connection
File Sender and File Receiver client’s seems to communicate for a second or two, and quickly File Transfer Incomplete status….

Kn0wledge Is Thee P0wer!!!!
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I have been using SP2 since it was released, on two separate computers with 6.16. I have DCC sent and received several times during this time. Make sure that you have the Windows XP Firewall either disabled, or set up to work with mIRC: http://www.mirc.org/xpdccsp2

Further help on not being able to DCC send can be found here and help on not being able to receive can be found here.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Phant0m Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
If you were reading what I actually had said, and not doubt me to be newbie, you would know there isn’t a problem with XP Firewall or any Application filtering and packet-filtering system causing this problem.

Are you familiar with a 3-way Handshake? Well there are replies and responses, but in matter of seconds the “File Transfer incomplete” occurs.

P
Phant0m Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
I’m curious;

When you say two separate computers, do you mean on the same network?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Please do not speak to me like that smile

By two separate computers I meant two completely separate computers, different locations. One obtained SP2 through Windows Update, one had it preinstalled. If by network you mean IRC network (which I doubt), it works fine for different ones.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Phant0m Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
You right, I meant computers in entirely two different locations…

Reason I ask because, File Transferring on the same network isn’t a problem, and sending files directly by DCCserver means are possible, It is possible that my D-Link Router (I have bought not only a year ago) is malfunctioning. And the thing is no Firewall, no SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) and any sort of packet-filtering feature being activated on the Router and I’m set on DMZ. And as I had said, it seems partial of TCP 3-way handshake is made (meaning connected from Receiver Client, Sender Client (mine) responds, Receiver Client reply in response) and that very second File Incomplete shows up.

I'll have to find someone later to transfer file to after I connect xDSL directly to the Internet without Router as middle man and get back to yea...)

P
Phant0m Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Hi

Looks like I were right, I finally had some time to spare and went on IRC and got a hold of a friend and started fiddling around, the TCP Three-way handshake weren’t possible, only partial of it was being done.

Here is the packet captures;

Internet >> PC = TCP SYN
PC >> Internet = TCP ACK / SYN
Internet >> PC = TCP SYN
Internet >> PC = TCP SYN

You see the final step isn’t being made? And mIRC cycles the process; now take a look at how it should be.

Internet >> PC = TCP SYN
Internet >> PC = TCP ACK

The above is an actual TCP connection establishment.

What is at fault would be considered my D-Link Router for some abnormal reason, however I’m not getting over the fact that mIRC File Transfers Only seems to be affected, where-else running web-server for instance, TCP initiating connections from remote systems can be made to my web service no problem.

Now I hope you guys will learn something from this, mIRC File Transfer issues doesn’t only correspond with use of software firewall that improperly configured, or Router with filtering capabilities activated. Don’t be so quick to make assumptions, to answer and be done with someone’s problem. wink

I just wish I could figure out why only mIRC File Transfers are affected…. confused

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Well if so then there is an awful lot of people successfully using incompatible software. grin

P
Phant0m Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Please re-read my latest messages, the fault is with my defective router :tongue:

Last edited by Phant0m; 15/02/05 12:43 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard