Print Thread
#110677 09/02/05 06:26 PM
K
kicko69 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
K
i understand that due to legal issues warez and other types of illegal software can't be spoken about, but if someone has a question about downloading they get a common "irc was not made for downloading". i been on irc for years and not had many issues and i figured it out most for myself. But when it comes to problems with downloading no one offers much help. why is that? I also understand that some choose to keep to their mIRC roots and use the software for what is was created for but connecting and downloading are parts of the software as well. I'm not trying to upset anyone just curious.

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Though it can't be proven I bet the majroity of people we help fix their dcc sends/recieves runs off and goes to download music/movies/etc. There is no sure way of telling if the person is or isn't, I just think favor falls to the side of "he seems to be a warez downloader im not helping him". Lastly:

For those with DCC problems:
If you have XP (turn off your firewall)
Router? Forward the ports (mIRC Options (ALT+O) > Connect > Options > Advanced Button)
It also could be a bad ip, I won't be much help here, but I hear /localinfo -u will fix it.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
There is information in this thread. Khaled, the author, also expresses that he is not happy with people who "use mIRC in a negative way" (see his FAQ).

As for mIRC supporting 'downloading':

Quote:
Question: Why does mIRC have file-sharing capabilities?
Answer: IRC is about communication. Both chat and file-sharing are a normal part of communication, and always have been. IRC has been around since 1988, long before the mass file-sharing systems that we see today came into existence.

Although mIRC has a file-server, it is simple and crude, and was designed years ago for basic personal use, to allow individuals to share files with friends, family, and colleagues, and is nothing like the sophisticated and dedicated file-sharing systems in existence today, which are specifically designed to facilitate the sharing of files on a mass scale.

Therefore, 'downloading' in the sense of getting files from XDCC bots (legal or not) is not what mIRC is for, that's not 'communication'.

Nevertheless, this forum generally concentrates on illegal/pirated material only, at least when it comes to actually refusing to help someone. Some take the view that unless someone specifically states they are trying to downloading movies from XDCC bots (rather than just saying "XDCC pack"), they should be helped. It really comes down to personal preference, and depend on how strong your views are on the topic.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
kicko69 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
i hear what your saying....i had asked for download help a few days ago and it was like total hush hush on the subject, i got an answer that was not true and was told to refer to rules about DLing warez. And after i did a search in the forum i see other posts about downloading issues but same "no help" answers. if people are saying help me download this (warez file) then i can see not offering help, but if someone asks a general question that could happen to a user no matter how they use mIRC then people should be more likely to help out.
___________________bottom line it depends on the user i guess

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Given the vast majority of people that are however using mIRC/IRC for illegal file trading ('vast majority' in relation to the number of people who ask about DCC/getting files on this forum), the assumption that the person is doing so is often made. Especially as in your post you mentioned downloading files that were 20MB (which you referred to as "small") - this is generally not "usual" day to day practice for any of my IRC friends, and certainly not myself.

We always apologise should we make the wrong assumption, it is not the intention to mark you as a warez kiddie. But if you help here for over a year, you will quickly see why people don't always make long winded posts just to take every small possibility into account.

Thank you for your understanding on the matter though smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Don't forget that the people who help on these boards are volunteers, who dedicate a part of their free time to help people here.

We don't have to help with anything if we don't want to. If we, for whatever reason, be it because of moral considerations, or whatever other reason, don't want to help a person, then we won't, it's as simple as that.

Basically, there's nothing you can do, if you ask a question, you can only hope to get helped, not demand it.

Greets

Gone.
K
kicko69 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
i agree with you that if someone helps you it because they want it not becuase you ask or demand, if anyone demands help they should be shot, but my point was not to group everyone in to the same boat. No worries, i think i been on too many boards that seem to snuff out newbies quicker then a new babysitter named "Michael Jackson"

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
I've never understood why people use irc/mirc for trading files on a larger scale. Sure, mirc has the capability, but it wasn't made for it so it has limitations. Why not just use applications that are much more suited for it instead and leave mirc out of it?

"Your signature is too long."
/mIRC Message Board
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G'day kicko,

Simply addressing your first note about legalities - it is quite legal to discuss wares, as far as people have been in this thread so far, though it is quite illegal to discuss how to obtain them (conspiracy to commit an offence is an offence in most countries), even in a broad or open-ended way. As far as I understand it, this forum (or rather the disc space it occupies) is sponsored by a Dutch university and they'd have obligations to their government as well as the community in general. In that light, if this forum was seen to be harbouring the activities of people that want to do bad things, it's likely the sponsorship would be revoked.

It can be seen as a positive thing though, that to date, people have done the right thing and not given assistance by their own choosing, even before considering the law of the land.

Link Copied to Clipboard