mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
kicko69 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
K
its seems no matter who i get a file from they seems to fail at decent speeds, anyone know why? typically its every 8-10 mins. to get a fail, the longest one i had was 56min, but i can never complete one. even smaller files like 20 megs i have to reseume 4-5 times before it complete and thats at 30-60 kps. i know connections get slow and fail but this doesn't seem to be the case. any ideas???? it worked a few weeks ago fine.
i have 1.7 p4 win98
linksys router (cable)
IE and firefox
mirc version ????not at home but it may not be the latest

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Your school/ISP has you behind a firewall with a packet shaper, created for slowing down peoples' downoads. Also, see below:

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3023&an=0&page=0#3023

K
kicko69 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
i'll have to call my ISP to check but ...i have a hunch you dead wrong. my connections do not slow down they just stall (pause)and fail, not all the time but do follow a slight pattern given the fact that is seems like every 8-10 mins. what does irc use as a dowload manager? any connection to windows settings? i did mention i have a router and have heard about cases with routers needing a firmware upgrade. do to this same issue. this may be beyond an irc issue but i just wanted to know what settings if any, might cuase this, thanks
BTW i never said what i use irc for since you pegged me as a warez bandit, i transfer rather large files to friends and clients for work.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
BTW i never said what i use irc for since you pegged me as a warez bandit, i transfer rather large files to friends and clients for work.

- Regardless of the legality of the files, using mIRC and DCC as a filesharing platform is an extremely poor choice. DCC isn't intended for active file serving/sharing, it's a simple protocol which is very inefficient and only really useful as a convenience to those who want to send a small file to someone they're talking to over IRC without the trouble of starting another program. If you regularly share files then using a 'true' file transfer/sharing protocol (ie. FTP, OpenNap, etc.) will give you much better results.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
K
kicko69 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Quote:
Quote:

- Regardless of the legality of the files, using mIRC and DCC as a filesharing platform is an extremely poor choice. DCC isn't intended for active file serving/sharing, it's a simple protocol which is very inefficient and only really useful as a convenience to those who want to send a small file to someone they're talking to over IRC without the trouble of starting another program. If you regularly share files then using a 'true' file transfer/sharing protocol (ie. FTP, OpenNap, etc.) will give you much better results.

agreed....i was just defending the pirate label that was assumed i was wearing. and that was besides the point, i just wanted to know if anyone could help my issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard