mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
For the past few days I've been working with few breaks to develop my final script... well everything was just beautiful until i close mirc and take break. I come back 2 hours later, open mirc and all the popups are gone!

Since these popups which seemingly deleted themselves were the main navigation for everything in the script.. the project is hopelessly lost.

What's with that? confused

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
First off, are you sure they've actually been deleted and haven't just been unloaded? There have been cases in the past where script files have been unloaded for no reason, however I don't know of any time that files have been deleted.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
All popups were saved in one file, popups.ini. I've thouroughly checked all files just in case; and i see no sign of the missing data. The only thing left in popups.ini is lpopups... for the nick list.

Absolutely nothing has changed in the whole script except for the four missing sections in popups.ini (server,channel, query and menubar).

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Try search your computer, and look for popups.ini, that happened to me, a file was unloaded and i couldend find it in mircdir, but after a search it was found in another dir, dont know how or why it was saved there.. but my work was saved..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
Nope... no popup.ini's that matched. This is depressing. If I at least knew why it happened, I could settle on that even if I didn't get the data back.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
For the past few days I've been working with few breaks to develop my final script...

And I like totally forgot to make any backups what so ever, and now something has happened and I have lost it all.

I cant say much more than Live and learn, save often backup often.

I would wonder why u didnt have them popups in there own remotes file?

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
DaveC is right folks.. always make backups. It slipped my mind... no need to be rude about it, sir. The reason ive never believed in putting popups in their own remote files is because i never imagined a problem like this would "pop up", pun not intended. But as he said, live and learn.

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S

that happened to me once,.. and I can give two of the reasons

a) very long lines - for some reason if a line is too long mirc removes it

b) second reason (and this was using mirc v5.61) - there was a maximum file size you got to when editing in your editor, then you couldn't add any more text other than with notepad or some other editor..

Next time you go into that file with mirc it would crop the script at that max file size & you would lose code. I don't think that should be a prob in v6.16 though.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
a) very long lines - for some reason if a line is too long mirc removes it

mIRC truncates the line to 9xx characters if I go over the limit, it doesn't remove the line altogether.

New username: hixxy
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Stupid question... you did click ok after editing your script and not cancel didn't you?

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
I did press save and not cancel.. basically the entire popups were working without the editor open when i last used them. Everything was fine.

None of the lines were very long, and the maximum file size scenario probably isnt it because i was nowhere near the limit. I've hit it before and it doesn't let you type anything after you've reached the maximum size... i dont remember the old max file size, but now its set to 500kb.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'm sorry, but can you reproduce this 'bug'? Your issue aside, if you think its a bug you should be able to explain how to reproduce it. If you don't know how, than in a case like this i'm more likely to believe the mistake was human error.. since in my 5+ years of using mIRC i've never had a script 'delete itself'

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
I've actually experienced this problem before also, though I believe the fault was my cause. Becuase I later found my popups.ini in some weird directory. Though, its been long since this has happened, and I haven't touched my popups in quiet awhile. ;p

Live to Dream & Dream for Life
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
I think you'll find it simply deletes the line rather than truncate.

here, try saving this as a single line in your mirc

Code:
on *:text:*:*: { if (kaos isin $1) && (bonus isin $1) { var c = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), d = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), e = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), f = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), g = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), h = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), i = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), j = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), k = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), l = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), m = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), n = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), o = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), p = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), q = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4), r = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4)  } else { s = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4) | t = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4) | u = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4) | v = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4) | w = $right($strip($replace($1-,$chr(32),$chr(160))),-4) }  }

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Another possibility which may or may not be relevant to you.

Usually when I am scripting something, I do it in a completely
different mirc installation than the one I use for chatting.. On one
pc, I have around 6 installations of mirc on the c drive, and several
on my d drive - each left over from different projects I had started.

To top this off, I have another pc and a laptop which similarly will
have the same, and I frequently switch between these depending
on what room I feel like working in, or whether I feel like sitting on
the bed and scripting something.

It's not uncommon for me to (temporarily) lose something I've
worked on,.. simply because I'm not sure where exactly I was
working on a snippet of something. In addition if I was working on
the same project on all 3 computers, only one will contain the latest
version - the other two would be less complete (or if I had
forgotten, would seem as if code had dissapeared).

Could this possibly be your situation?, or are you a one-mirc-only person.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
So it does, i'm pretty sure it didn't do that in older versions though.

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Quote:
So it does, i'm pretty sure it didn't do that in older versions though.

Yes, you're right. Just downloaded mirc v5.61 and attempted to paste the same line.

the editor forced a word-wrap on the cut + paste.

Link Copied to Clipboard