mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#106816 04/01/05 12:33 PM
F
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
F
I have a very irritating problem, my mIRC shuts down after just a few moments of connecting to server, sometimes it works fine but most of the time it just crash.
It does this on all networks more or less but most problems are with Qnet, I have tried removing all scripts, I've tried reinstalling, I have checked so that my Antivirus or any other program doesn't do anything to it, tried debug and all I get is
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-> 217.75.98.138 NICK Ferrat
-> 217.75.98.138 USER mad "inzane.se" "217.75.98.138" :Pat
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Found your hostname
-> 217.75.98.138 QUIT :
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem has manifested after I switched to my AMD64 system, the problem has gotten worse, it started doing that just a few times, then more and more, now I can't get connected 90% of the time and when I get connected it just takes a few moments before mIRC terminates again..

Please help confused

#106817 04/01/05 12:38 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
mIRC isn't 64-bit compatible, this is probably the issue you're having.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#106818 06/01/05 07:33 PM
P
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
P
AMD Athlon 64 can run 32-bit software just fine.

Do you have any scripts or add-ons, or just a clean mIRC as it comes out of the fresh installation kit?

If yes, remove them. Or, just to see if those scripts are the cause, download the installation kit again from one of the official download mirrors (http://www.mirc.co.uk/get.html), install in a different folder, run from there and see if it continues shutting down like that.

If not, go on reading here.

Do you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2?

If yes: AMD Athlon64 and most recent Sempron processors have a "Data Execution Prevention" or "NX" (No Execute) flag which basically will stop running a piece of software in certain situations - this was implemented as a measure to detect and stop dangerous code (such as viruses). Windows XP with Service Pack 2 can disable or enable this feature. It is preferred to have it enabled to gain some extra performance, but for the legitimate application that are having problems you can add them to an exception list.

I am guessing that this DEP setting could be the cause for mIRC shutting down. Give it a try then see if it helped. Go in Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select", then click the "Add..." button to add mIRC to the exception list. (You will probably have to select the mirc.exe file, I don't have Windows XP so I can't tell you what else you'll need; just follow the options and use the Help buttons.)

Let us know if this guess fixed your problem.

#106819 08/01/05 08:44 AM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
I already used pure mIRC 6.16 using AMD64.

No prolems here

#106820 10/01/05 02:45 PM
L
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
L
Even your fresh install of mIRC won't work within Windows x64. This is due to 16-bit code in parts of mIRC which will crash your WoW shell (or make it extremely unstable).

It was a bit annoying for me in the beginning because my main bot was created for mIRC. Luckily I stumbled upon the 64bit version of VMWare which solved my problem. It's a detour, but hey.... it works grin

#106821 30/01/05 06:13 PM
D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D
I ran mIRC without issue on my AMD64, in WinXP64, using the acidmax script/repacking.

They should work without any problems together.

Link Copied to Clipboard