mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
Greetings,

For many weeks now I haven't been able to get mIRC to function. It seemed to have started when i upgraded to the current version. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling every which way. When I click on the options menu absolutely nothing happens. I can't connect to any server either.

I thought maybe if I had a list of all the files mIRC installs I could hand delete them all and then reinstall. I'm wonderinf if I have a trojan; I'm also wondering if others have had this problem.

Regards,

Les

So-called "Free Will" is neither; it is a dangerous and persistent illusion. Visit determinism.com
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
hmm, very odd

cant say that i've ever hurd of anyone having such a problem.

if you wouldnt mind lets try a few things as tests to see what happens, maybe that will give me (or someone else) an idea on what might be the trouble.

First, in mIRC press down and hold the ALT key, then type the leter o then release both keys (ALT+O)

this 'should' bring up the mirc options dialog, does it?

if so, select a common server and try to connect, if you cant connect please show us the error you get for the reason as to why you cant connect.

as far as a list of files mirc instals, all files that mirc instals are instaled into the directory where the mirc.exe program file is located, (to the best of my knowledge), there are a few registry keys that are added to the windows system registry but none of which should affect whats happening to you.

please try your best to suply us with a few more details regarding this problem so that we can beter address it

Cobra^

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
heard of that happening only a couple times.. uninstalling, then getting new download from www.mirc.com solved it as i recall

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
D
OP Offline
D
Hello Again,

First, thanks for the prompt replies to you and PB.

Not a lot more to add. Win 98SE; had older versions of mIRC working OK; problem started on new install of 6.O3; have uninstalled and re-installed several times, as mentioned, with exactly same results; I also recall it happening about the same time I got into a brief flame throwing with some guy(?) who called me a "dumbass" in a channel, for asking some tech question quite appropriately; I responded by pointing out how rude he was. This apparently incensed him into a longer diatribe, so I quit mIRC rather than put up with him. That's why I wondered about a possible trojan.

So, when I open mIRC it goes immediately to the main screen and menus, as usual. There is no connection made, or seeming attempt at one. When I click on the Options menu I get a less than 1/2 second flash of the hourglass icon then no perceptible change--nothing, as if I've yet to do anything. I can click and click with the same result. I can use keyboard commands with the same result, etc. There is NO way to open the Options menue, period.

Thanks,

Les

So-called "Free Will" is neither; it is a dangerous and persistent illusion. Visit determinism.com
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
(When I was on 98se)
I've sometimes had that problem when my user or gdi resources go to 0% but that shouldn't be happening regularly on your system (I hope ;p) Something to look for I guess...

/me halts mind rambling.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You said you have uninstalled and reinstalled, but did you try installing a clean new d/l of mIRC from www.mirc.com? i'm wondering if you got a bad download. HAve you gone into windows explorer and looked at your mirc.ini itself? If its there in the main mirc directory for 6.03 and looks ok, wouldnt hurt while you're there to check properties and be sure it isnt set to read only. Also be sure you have servers.ini, and NOT server.ini

As for a trojan, those are gotten by downloading/opening infected files/scripts or clicking on infected urls. Did 6.03 ever work for you?

Edward: dont ya just love that built in memory leak in 98se? *sigh* drives me nuts mad

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
//echo -a $crc(mirc.exe)
4A0890E0

//echo -a $md5(mirc.exe)
34ddba9a9e2ce80593e744ed88a60f2e

mIRC 6.03 on my (now win2k) machine. You could try those commands, see if they are the same.

============
Gotta love windows 2000 ;P

[03:44:00 pm] <Edward_K> (mIRC memory usage) mIRCs running:(3)
[03:44:02 pm] <Edward_K> (1) Used RAM:(64.26MB) Total Memory allocated:(61.39MB) Handles:(249) Threads:(10) USER Resources:(1043) GDI Resources:(150)
[03:44:02 pm] <Edward_K> (2) Used RAM:(36.78MB) Total Memory allocated:(36.64MB) Handles:(209) Threads:(5) USER Resources:(728) GDI Resources:(114)
[03:44:03 pm] <Edward_K> (3) Used RAM:(5.97MB) Total Memory allocated:(3.91MB) Handles:(181) Threads:(5) USER Resources:(8295) GDI Resources:(84)
[03:44:04 pm] <Edward_K> Total used ram:(107.01MB) Total Allocated:(101.94MB) Total handles:(2557) Total threads:(20) Total USER Resources:(10066) Total GDI Resources:(348)

B
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
B
you crc is correct but not md5 wich is 212f8aacf2ebc98b740b620fc5a047e1

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
whoops, forgot md5 takes more paramaters

$md5(text|&binvar|filename,[N])
Returns md5 hash value for the specified data, where N = 0 for plain text (default), 1 for &binvar, 2 for filename.

//echo -a $md5(C:\mirc\mirc.exe,2)
b766003f431cad186bd115f5761592d1

That ,2 is very important :P

Link Copied to Clipboard