Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10500 10/02/03 10:42 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Hmm, i thought i'd open up an old wound, earlier today my computer crashed while i had mIRC running, so i had to do a system restart.

Upon getting back into windows, and re-ran mIRC i found out that all but 4 of my scripts had unloaded themselves, i have just spent the past 10 mins reloading them back in again, and i counted them.

I have 25 scripts all but 1 of them are .mrc the other remaining is a .ini and was a script i downloaded from mircscripts.org
and i have just checked my bot script folder it has 17 scripts loaded, the bot was running at the time of the crash, and it;s scripts did not unload.

Is this a mIRC bug or not ?, in that you cant have more than 20 scripts loaded, if this is the case, maybe a suggestion would be to allow more scripts to be loaded into memory.

I have 128 meg ram, and all my scripts are small, the largeest script being only 74k and the smallest being 102 bytes

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
#10501 11/02/03 02:43 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Well, on this computer I have 33 scripts loaded and have never had this happen (Touch wood! laugh)
I've never had it happen at all in fact.

#10502 11/02/03 03:30 AM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Well it's done this to me a number of times, even before i joined the board, it's just annoying when it happens and i have to go and re-load them all again. mad

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
#10503 11/02/03 03:41 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i still say uve got something in one of ur scripts doing something then ..... cause in mine ive got 23 scripts and not once has it unloaded on me ..... thats scripts ive had since 6.03 came out all loaded and some recently edited but they are all there as the day i loaded em

D3m0nnet.com
#10504 11/02/03 12:50 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Ok, i just checkd my mirc.ini file and found the following lines

[rfiles]
n0=remote.ini
n1=remote.ini
n2=mycoolscript.mrc
+my other scripts here

I dunno if this has anything to do with it or not, my remote.ini just contains variables and stuff, and i keeps my scripts in a different folder to my bots scripts, and it has no problems at all.

Anything else ?
ShadowDemon

#10505 11/02/03 01:07 PM
R
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
Nothing wrong there:
n0=users file
n1=variables file
n2_and_up=script files

$input(Me like stars, You too?)
#10506 11/02/03 01:08 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Ok, thanks Rich, was just wondering if that was my probs, but you have cleared that up for me

ShadowDemon

#10507 11/02/03 10:59 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Your situation could have been caused by many things, Virus/Trojan Infections, Poorly Maintained System, HDD Failures and so forth… Clean up your Temps & Caches, Registry, Scan your Local HDD’s with AV and AT and AS – Anti-Spyware Utility…

Kn0wledge Is Thee P0wer!!!!
#10508 13/02/03 05:53 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Hi, Phant0m
No not really, as i scandisk and defrag once a month. Virus scan every week, or if i hear of a new virus i will do it once a day until i hear that it's sorta cleared, i run AVG and also use the free online, trend micro website (Thanks Hammer).

I use Ad-aware for cleaning spyware, i have a registry cleaner type proggy, that removes bad registry refs.
My tmp folder and tmp internet files and cache are cleaned once a day before i goto bed at night, aswell as my history files.

So you could say i have a ship shape system grin, and has nothing to do with my system prefs

Celeron 400
128 mb ram
30 gig hd
Winxp pro
mIRC V6.03

Thanks
ShadowDemon

#10509 13/02/03 06:18 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
If you’re System was properly Maintained it wouldn’t be crashing, unless it’s hardware related. Bad RAM, Corrupted Data caused by “numerous” things such like Hard Drive Failures and so forth.

Don’t see you mentioning anything specifically for an Anti-Trojan Cleaner, relying on Anti-Virus System to Clean much less even detect Trojans is mistake, ask anyone why they used BoClean, The Cleaner or other-than along with their Anti-Virus Systems, because Anti-Virus Systems don’t really have large enough Definitions for “Real” Trojans.

And unless you using Ad-Aware v6 with most recent definitions you cant call it reliable, like anything which isn’t being rapidly Updated in reference to AV, AT, AS and so forth…

“registry cleaner type proggy”

Doesn’t Appear to me that you know your Registry Cleaners, There’s such things as Good, and poor Quality programs. What Application you using to Scan, Clean Invalid Registry Entries? Lets see if I can Match and Out-Match… :tongue:

The Cleaner v3.5
Download: http://www.cybermesa.com/~moosoft/cleaner3.exe
Homepage: http://www.moosoft.com
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP

#10510 13/02/03 06:38 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Hahaha, ok i have heard of "TheCleaner", i used it a few times with the latest defs and it didnt spot the trojan i had in my tmp folder, but AVG spotted it as soon as i installed AVG.
I also use "Swat-it" and have that updated too, but i only found out about that a few days ago.

The registry cleaner i use is called "RegCleaner" and can be found Here it is made by a guy called Jouni Vuorio and i have been using it for years and pretty much cleans up bad reg entries, including software that i removed weeks ago, that didn't uninstall properly.

Adaware V6.0 is installed and has the latest defs and i remove all traces of spyware.

Yes my computer does crash, because i try to do too many things at once, ie browse websites, chat in irc and build websites for other people, after all windows is a multitasking computer, but windows can't handle it very well and so crashes.

The other night a friend of mine who runs nothing in the background and has more RAM than me, also using XP, managed to crash his computer doing nothing more than listen to an MP3 and play a game, so i dont think my hard drive is at fault, seen as my hard drive is only a few months old, and the memory has been checked too.

ShadowDemon

#10511 13/02/03 07:19 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
The problem with programs getting a bad reputation is people who lacks in Kn0wledge installs these programs and thinks great that’s what’s all needed, and of course something else does a job which this application should do and gets blamed because of the users mistakes of not Updating, & Configuring and then Scanning in Reference to AV, AT, AS.

No lie AVG is a good “Anti-Virus” System but not a good Anti-Trojan Cleaner, and a lot of these “Trojan” Definitions in these Anti-Virus Systems like Mcafee, Nortons, NOD32 AV, AVG and so forth are misleading “FALSE” reports. Now you can choose not to believe me, but I know their Art works, I’ve been in serious discussions with Paul maker of NOD32 and many other AV Builders. You really like to know what most of these Trojans Definitions in these AV’s are, they are Warez Utilities commonly found on many users infected machines. Whether it’s Nukers, Password unshadowers and so forth, but hey don’t take my word for it… What would I know?

Sorry that The Cleaner failed to detect these false Trojans, far as I can tell The Cleaner uses pure Trojan Definitions.

Here’s a Few tips; Upon Installation of AV’s, AT’s, AS’s do Updates first then configure and in this case The Cleaner you would go-to “Options” and select “Scanning” tab and Check "Scan for hidden executables" because by Default this Feature isn’t Enabled considering it’s very necessary Feature. And you can check "Scan inside compressed files" at your will, then go-to “Update” Tab and Enable "Check for updates at startup" and click OK then Check to Enable "Scan local Fixed drives" and click “Scan” Button.

Keep in mind unless your AT has background scanning Features, Trojans may become successfully downloaded and even Installed without any Alerts by the AT System until your next proper Local HDD Scan.

And about your “Trojan?!?!?” infection located in the Temp Folder, if it was really an Trojan and it infected you, guaranteed it wouldn’t of kept itself only in the Temp Directory.

Also note; why is AT like The Cleaner and so forth which specifically for Trojans quite impressive? Because it also un-do all damages done by “Real” Trojans Infections unlike AV Systems just deleting the Trojan files.

-

And RegCleaner is quite popular by the newbies but I prefer to use something which actually more efficient, like System Mechanics, Perfect Companion as a Combo.

-

I’m using Microsoft Windows XP and guess what? I must do billion things at once for days on End without even Re-booting and never once does it crash. I Render, watch Movies, Chat, Remote and billion other tasks all on current sessions.

#10512 13/02/03 07:30 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
ok, thanks for your tips n stuff, but now it's kinda getting off topic about "Just why my scripts are unloading".

I did state earlier, that i was running mirc, while set as away and left my computer for 5 mins doing nothing, no i never did get an error number or anthing, it just locked up the keyboard confused and so i was forced to switch the comp off then back on.

Nobody else could of touched my computer, as i live by myself, and i am the sole user of the machine.

No more discussion about this bug please, unless anybody else has any other idea as to what might cause scripts to unload.

Thanks
ShadowDemon

#10513 13/02/03 07:50 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Not off topic, it’s in Reference to what possibly could have happened.
Trojans are known to-do that of which you had experienced.

Shadowdemon sorry if you displease with my services, I’m only trying to help you in the best way I know how. I’ve been frank with you; there really isn’t any need to be like that.

Anyways if you like me to attempt to help you figure this out, tell me what Operating System you using. Windows 98/98SE? And what Applications in the background was currently running? It’s very possible you could have had conflict of some sort...

#10514 13/02/03 07:53 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
In Addition; I cant see how you could of lost “Saved” settings due to the crash unless something willed it to that, or your HDD is Failing or it’s just corrupting data caused by something other-than HDD failings...

#10515 13/02/03 08:50 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Sorry mate, i'm a bit ******-off atm frown, i dunno why this script thing is just doing what it's doing, plus i'm tired.

I don't mean to offend crazy, all i am saying is that my system is virus and spyware free, it cant be the harddrive, as it did this on my old harddrive too, about severasl months ago, and i was doing something completely differnet to what i was doing the other day that caused the same thing to happen, i dont think it related to dar drive failure.

Take a look at this post too and you will see that DoomStars is/was having the same problem, i dunno if he has found out what the problem is either.

I'm running WindowsXP Pro SP1 & all updates, but it has done this on a Windows 98SE before too.

I was running AVG, 2 copies of mIRC, my personal script and my bot's (Who's mirc.ini file was unaffected by the crash)
and Directory Opus while FTP'ing to my webserver, when the crash happened, i've uploaded to the FTP dozens of times a day for weeks and never had it freeze, so that can be ruled out, also running was my firewall, and that gives me no probs, and i would know straight away if somebody was attempting to hack my system.

#10516 13/02/03 09:17 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
It’s cool; I don’t suppose you’d remember the Nth places these scripts which you in reference were loaded up as at the time? You on Windows XP; it possible you can scan through the “Event Viewer” for anything in Reference to mIRC issues or anything else issued at the time of this recent problem? And copy Descriptions: Info and paste it in here?

#10517 13/02/03 09:39 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Taken from my mirc.ini file near

n0=remote.ini
n1=remote.ini
n2=ktoolsstatus.mrc
n3=scripts\pmask.mrc
n4=scripts\demonscrypt.mrc
n5=scripts\whoonserver.mrc
n6=scripts\whoisnick.mrc
n7=scripts\joinconfig.mrc
n8=scripts\joinpop.mrc
n9=scripts\xxx.mrc
n10=scripts\clonescan.mrc
n11=scripts\mircquit.mrc
n12=scripts\nickchange.mrc
n13=scripts\MUTUBanProt73.ini ;this is the only ini file script i have This file i downloaded from mircscripts.org
n14=scripts\power.mrc
n15=scripts\leavenot.mrc
n16=scripts\newnotify.mrc
n17=scripts\aliasshortcut.mrc
n18=scripts\awaysys.mrc This file i downloaded from mircscripts.org
n19=scripts\mircswamp.mrc
n20=scripts\man.mrc This file i downloaded from mircscripts.org
n21=scripts\chanset.mrc

OK, i now have 20 scripts loaded, as i got rid of a few tmp scripts i had loaded, i only have one script that loads at mirc runtime, and thats the ktoolsstatus.mrc. The tmp scripts were nothing really, just me playing with mdx n stuff, but it still happened even before i got into playing with mdx.

It seems that windows has not logged mIRC in it's event viewer, and if it did then the find feature of the event handler has not found it either.

#10518 13/02/03 09:59 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Well i was wanting anything in Reference to Issues detected at the time, you'd probably see "Save Dump" in Event Viewer after the problem occured.

#10519 13/02/03 10:12 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Nope nothing in the "Save Dump" that relates to this, infact teh event viewer couldnt find the "Save Dump"

My error logs, log the last 7 days, and seen as the crash was on the 10/02/03 then i still have a few days left before it deletes over the top

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard