mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
A bug discovered in Channel Central in mIRC 6.16 (and possibly older) got to my ears yesterday on Undernet.

If the channel is set keyed (+k) and the key is * (just an asterisc), mIRC doesn't display this key in Channel Central's key textbox, nor in the channel titlebar (obviously, with the "Hide channel key" option unchecked in Options/IRC).

Channel operators are unable to simply uncheck the +k checkbox to remove the key mode, because mIRC doesn't seem to know what the key is and /mode #channel -k key needs the existing key as mandatory parameter. The only fix is to either set the key to something else then remove it, or to manually type: /mode #channel -k *.

It's not a big issue, actually it's fun to see how many ops (even in old help channels) have no idea how to use /mode #channel to find out the current channel modes and then remove the key manually grin

Merry Holidays,

puterfixer

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
The reason for this is explained here.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
P
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
So, it's not a bug, it's a feature for some IRC networks which hide the key from non-ops. Good to know, thank you smile

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
I tested this here:

Hide channel key - unchecked
And I am an Operator and mIRC doesnt display the key ( * ) .

Like you can see here:

Test

Using mIRC 6.16 - Win XP

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Please follow the link starbucks posted and read what puterfixer said in their last post. This is not a bug smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard