mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#104396 05/12/04 10:02 AM
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Perhaps it would be abused, at least at first, but I don't see it as a serious problem. Especially if the away reason isn't sent, changing the away status would be no more abusive than /nick. And just like in nick changes (or joins/parts etc), channel operators would be able to easily remove "away flooders" from the channel.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
#104397 06/12/04 02:06 AM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Quote:
If by some bizarre event one or both of those clients gained a massive portion of the IRC user clientele then many servers would probably be forced to put restrictions on /who, either by ignoring more than x requests per user per hour, or even putting a vey low tolerance on what was considered 'flooding' when using /who. They might even have to limit the number of people using those particular clients, perhaps block them entirely. Ultimately this would mean that those clients would either have to drop or severely limit support of this feature to being practically useless, or otherwise face their users being banned from the majority of IRC servers.

That is an over-exaggeration. I'm 100% sure that no server will ever ban someone for excess use of the /who command. If there was an excess load on the server, some servers might add a feature that would tell everyone in a channel when people went away if they had a certain umode turned on. But you can't deny the evolution of mIRC because some servers might get more use.

#104398 06/12/04 04:27 AM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
(I guess I am just confusing) :P

The more I think about this, the more you see how there can be problems. I understand with those who are critical of this idea, it is probably not a simple feature to add to IRC. Hopefully there is a way somehow to implement this in the future instead of having to change your nick to show you are away and having a nick become italicized when idle for a certain time.

The problem is that it will likely need to be a server side feature and thus have to be offered through the IRCds, and there are many different ones used by all the different networks.

I also agree that there may be a server load issue if some people switching their status back and forth. But how different is that from say, already available modes such as +h, +i, +p, +x, or +R? Or even +v, +h, and +o? Maybe a new mode added for "away" like +A and showing on the nicklist with a second symbol such as ^ or whatever other symbol that is not taken.

So for example if you are a Channel Operator that is away your nick can have a @^ in front of it and the away nicks in a group can drop to the bottom of that group/level.

This would also add a feature IRC that mIRC does not support now, which is displaying two nick modes on the nicklist at once, such as a voiced nick (+v) that is away can look like +^Nickname on the nicklist. Also for a nick to be italicized on the nicklist.

Anyway, this is just an idea and this is probably not the place to get something like this implemented as a feature in IRC.

It was an interesting discussion anyhow, thank you all for the feedback. You brought some points I did not think of when I first posted this.

Thank you,

smile

Nomadic_Prophet
#104399 16/12/04 12:42 PM
C
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
C
Away system is not problem for me, I use color nicks. But that I can't sort nicks by alphabet it's a problem. I don't like that nick jumps to ops and back avery 5 minutes -\ Is it hard to make generic sorting of a nicklist?
P.S. Excuse me for my english ^_^

#104400 19/12/04 04:42 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Oh for christ sakes... do Windows users look anywhere outside their own small worlds?

I've been monitoring the AWAY/OPER status of users for years now. How you ask? I DON'T USE /WHO! Use /who repeatidly, and you'll just induce lag.

So what do I do then? I use /userhost. 5 nicks per line, 4 lines, every 30 seconds until everyone is the channel is checked, wait 5 minutes, repeat. Pretty simple huh? Imagine this concept was concieved of back before Windows 95 huh? I did not come up with this idea. I just stole it from Mac IRC clients.

Do not argue with me that /who is faster. The query ratio (that is the amount of information sent out and back) is uneven with /who. With /userhost it's more flat lined. Regardless, you put less demand on both the client and server using /userhost. Which is WHAT YOU REALLY WANT!

BTW, mIRC uses /userhost and not /who when looking up addresses not in the internal address list (buffer). It's the simplist way to look up an address.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
#104401 31/12/04 02:57 PM
M
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
M
irc already has an /away cmd... why not just have that cmd make your name italicized in nicklist...then if you come back it changes it back to normal... DING DING!!! WINNAH! ...dur

#104402 31/12/04 03:01 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Because nobody else is notified when you use that command...

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard