mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Mirc version: 6.16

I upgraded my FireFox yesterday from 0.9.8 to 1.0 (final) and discovered that right clicking a URL in the channel and selecting "Open in New Browser" no longer works properly. It worked for the FireFox 0.9.x series.

What it does now is select the last FireFox that had focus and reuses that browser instance. frown

This is inconvenient for those that run many instances of FireFox ( > 10 ) since I use tabs to logically group together pages that I'm researching.

If I perform the following: /url -n http://www.google.com
it will indeed open a new FireFox instance and load up the page there.

I am not sure what the difference in mechanism would be for the "Open in New Browser" and "/url -n". They would seem mutually inclusive in their operation.

I also checked the registry settings for FireFox and everything appears to be in order. I also tried to use the Windows 2000 utility "Set Program Access and Defaults" and force IE to be the default browser. After doing this, the "Open in New Browser" worked properly with IE. Going in to FireFox Tools:Options:Default_Browser I selected Check_Now and had it set itself as the default browser. Unfortunately FireFox and "Open in New Browser" still do not get along together.

And finally, I loaded up DDESpy and did not see Mirc using DDE commands to start FireFox.

Does anyone know which underlying mechanism Mirc is using for launching the browser and passing it the URL to open?

Is there a way to override the Mirc right-click context menu when hovering over a URL so that I can script it with '/url -n' ?

TIA!

--TerraNova

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I had the same issue with Firefox when upgrading, changing a Firefox option is what fixed it for me:

In Firefox:
- Go to 'Tools'
- Go to 'Options'
- Click on the 'Advanced' button in the options dialog.
- Scroll down to 'Tabbed Browsing' and expand it.
- Under the title 'Open links from other applications in:' click the radio button saying 'a new window'.
- Click 'OK' and restart Firefox to make sure the setting is saved.

Does this fix your problem? smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
I am happy to report that fixed the problem right up. smile

Thank you very much for your insight and positive resolution!

--TerraNova

N
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
N
Quote:

And finally, I loaded up DDESpy and did not see Mirc using DDE commands to start FireFox.

Does anyone know which underlying mechanism Mirc is using for launching the browser and passing it the URL to open?

DDE is a way for applications to send data back and forth (a few winamp NowPlaying scripts use DDE)

afaik, mirc proly uses a shell command and just sends the page address to it. Its like all .txt files will open with notepad by default. Windows will just open all http data by whatever is ment to handle it (firefox, IE,netscape, whichever)

Link Copied to Clipboard