OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
maybe a rewrite of the scripting language
this time, an object oriented language
with types, instead of just 'data'
as well as maybe pre compiling scripts at runtime
the speed mirc scripts give is just rediculous
why bother improving the current scripting language, when its not fast enough to do anything useful in anyways?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I think the idea of re-writing the entire scripting language is a little bit too much to suggest :tongue: - It would break every single script in existence for one.

I think the point you make about it not being fast enough to do anything lacks much of a foundation when there are thousands of very useful addons, scripts and so forth out there that people love to use, and that enhance mIRC. Personally (bar first-time using of $findfile smirk) I don't often see things taking longer than 2-3 seconds max. How can anyone be that impatient?!

I think DLL support was added for when speed is particularly important. As the help file says:

"The main reason you'd want to do this is that processing information in a DLL can be far faster than doing so in a script, so for intensive data processing a DLL would be more efficient."

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
why bother improving the current scripting language, when its not fast enough to do anything useful in anyways?

its fast enough to do irc based things. mIRC isn't designed to replace anything, its not your browser, your e-mail client, your MSN client, your p2p client, none of it! Its a text based irc client, and it works perfectly as one.

T
tdot Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
and those are good points, but none of them change the fact mirc script is much too slow
it is even too slow for just IRC scripts
try going thru a channel list with 500 users and performing a function on each one, and thats not even a SMALL ammount of work
and then theres the fact that mirc strings are limited to a smaller size that can be required for JUST mirc processing...
i think the DLL support was a great addition, but it shouldnt be making up for the scripting language, it should be working with it, the language should be capable of doing most things that a DLL could
he could at LEAST make the current scripting language precompile before its first runtime, then recompile if changed, which would probably boost performance 200+ times

i would also like to note the fact that DLLs are not very useful for data processing at all, because of the fact that mIRC strings have a very small size, and therefor cannot send much information to a DLL at once

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
how often are you on channels with 500+ users ? and what do you need to do to every user on that channel ? i have been using mirc for many years now, and i have seen big channels.. but they are often big cos of mass invites, its like complain on windows cos it cant handle 200 programs running in the background.. i never had a problem with to many users.. the only problem i had befor, that was that i flooded out. but the problem wasnt mirc, it was my connection to the server.. now im on a faster connection and i never floods out. only time i do that is when i make a misstake, never if a script or command working as it should..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
The scripting language isn't a program, it's something that can be modified interactively, precompiling is counterproductive to that.

I've never had speed problems with IRC-related tasks of any kind.

Quote:
i would also like to note the fact that DLLs are not very useful for data processing at all, because of the fact that mIRC strings have a very small size, and therefor cannot send much information to a DLL at once

- There are multiple ways around that. Everything from writing the data to a file first and passing the filename to the DLL, to giving the DLL the name of a set of variables or a hash table or some other container of information and then SendMessage()'ing WM_MEVALUATE to get the contents. Not super-efficient, but certainly fast enough for IRC tasks.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I don't think things like types, enumerations, etc, should be added to mIRC, but I do think the string limit should be abolished, or at least a bit bigger than 900 or so chars.

New username: hixxy
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
Hey guy, it is a scripting language, not a full programming language designed to go fast and manage hundreds of users !

If you want to make a fast script with lots of complex options, i think you should learn C...

Thinking is the worst disease of the brain.

To reply by mail, remove "nospam-" in my adress
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There is no need for a performance boost to mIRC scripting. It does the intended job well.

O
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
O
There has been a recent addition to ms.org by the name WhileFix.dll that prevents mirc from halting when doing anything cpu intensive. It feels exactly as if the script runs in a separate thread. I have tested it for a little while now, and it seems to work flawlessly.

Bloop
B
Babel fish
Babel fish
B
heh my dll got mentioned man i feel imporant smile

hmmm signed by me

Link Copied to Clipboard