mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#101139 23/10/04 10:16 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
The point of this forum is to discuss things, that's why there's a forum and not just an email address. For instance originally Wragg's main reasons for wanting a helpfile format were that it would have anchors and images, because this forum exists and because we can discuss feature suggestions I was able to inform him that both of these things are possible in the current help file format. And as far as I can see no-one is saying the help file shouldn't be improved, there is merely the question of what precisely Wragg is expecting to improve and in what way. Simply saying 'more examples' could mean anything. I mean should the help file entry for $fullname look like this?:

Quote:
$fullname
Returns the full name specified in the Connect dialog.

If your full name entry in the Connect Dialog is 'Jim Smith',
//echo -a My name is $fullname
will echo:
My name is Jim Smith

I sure hope not, because it's completely redundant.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#101140 24/10/04 02:39 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
@ tidy

"but if he doesn't want it... (or isn't bothered)"

If he doesn't want it, then I don't think it'll matter what other people think.
If he isn't bothered, then he'll probably focus on the things he is bothered with.
I understand your point though.

@ starbucks

The point of this forum is to post feature suggestions. While I fully understand that people like
to discuss the suggestion, I hope that people also fully understand that what they think, doesn't mean as much as they would hope. Remember, mIRC is used by millions, and what 10 people think on some thread about a future suggestion probably doesn't mean an aweful lot. We are not the representatives of all the mIRC users. Which is why the "suggestion bashing" looks ridiculously funny at times (not per sé this thread).

Anyway, everyone here is entitled to post whatever they want, as long as it is within the limits of the forum rules. So I did. So you did. So it's all good. smile

Greets

Gone.
#101141 25/10/04 06:09 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Just updated mIRC Chm Help.. What now also containt a script..
Added a custom dialog what looks exactly(is missed only one feature.. but that is because mIRC dialogs don't allow that) like Help->Search mIRC's one(it load faster than the one of the bigger brother)..

mIRC Chm Help 6.16.0.3 Full Anchored!
#101142 25/10/04 06:13 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Nice!

Keep up the good work smile

Gone.
#101143 25/10/04 06:49 PM
W
Wragg Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
W
good job !

#101144 25/10/04 10:30 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Thanks;)

mIRC Chm Help 6.16.0.3 Full Anchored!
#101145 27/10/04 12:09 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"if the help file was bigger and better people wouldn't need to post here and argue like this "

Sorry, but i have to disagree with that. Consider how many times the answers given here are direct quotes from the help file, or answers contain the suggestion to type /help blahblah. Fact is that many people simply wont take the time to look in the help file or read the stickies here, let alone download and read mIRC FAQ or the versions.txt.

To expect that any suggestion posted here will appeal to everyone who reads it is unrealistic. Some will like it, some wont, but everyone is entitled to post their opinion as long as its done with common courtesy and adds to the discussion. The final decision rests with Khaled, but he does pay attention to the posts here. If he didnt want to know what people think, there wouldnt be a feature suggestion area.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#101146 05/11/04 12:50 AM
A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
An example of what would be like an mIRC help file in HTML : Here. Ok, don't think it's spam, it's only to show you the entire help file translated in French (by ClickHeRe) and then converted into html. It's a lot easier to navigate within the help file, and it's also nicer. I think html is a good choice for an help file. The samething done with the English help file would be great, no?

#101147 05/11/04 02:33 AM
A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
No, yes maybe the helpfile needs a bit updating anchors would be nice. But It should stay in the same format it is now, the windows help format. That way its the same basic concept that it always has been and there isnt a assload of old hands having to learn a new thing

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard