mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I purchased a domain and was wondering what I would need or where I need to go to learn how to setup an FTP name and shell name. I see people on irc all the time with those custom shell name and I see people with their own ftp.nickname.com FTP addresses. Can anybody point me in the right direction for getting these setup? Any help is most appreciated laugh

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I find myself wondering the same . How does one set up a shell account that bounds to your own domain?

$maybe
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You ether pay for your "own" domain name, host or what ever.. and some shell's have whats called v-hosts, they are bounded to IP addresses, so the host you see on irc is payed ones.. or maybe if they are lucky they have friends that can give them a v-host to there IP's. how ever if you thinking of get your self a v-host or domain name, then you need to have your own IP address, a modem user would have big problems bind there IP to a host, im shure you find shell's that suport it if you use google or other search engine, the shell's that suport it often need you to set up a bouncer and then bind the v-host to the IP.. im shure you find much more explained information about this if you search the webb, i just explained it really short.. wink good luck with your hunting.. grin

----------------------- Edit ------------------------

you can bind what IP you want to free www hosts, but you wont get that host when connect to irc tho, its just a forward from that www.address to your IP..

Last edited by sparta; 21/10/04 08:31 AM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
i searched for shell setup but it only gets me results for paid hosts services no explanation to setting up your own.

$maybe
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
same here. can you shed a little more light on the subject?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Shell's arent somthing you just get for free.. the only way i guess is to have a friend running a linux or unix computer.. and you must have a computer to create a shell.. and the stuff you found, thats what you will find.. they all want to have money for hosting your bot/screen/bnc or what you want to use on that shell account, if you looking for a free shell, then i dont think you will find any.. and if they still exist, then they are g-lined (banned) from all bigger networks, so they arent to any use for a user..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Dude im saying if I myself run a linux server how would i go about setting it up as a shell ?
Im not asking for a free host etc. Ty for taking the time to reply but no tnxs for the taking me for dumber then i am.

$maybe
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
If you have Linux up and running, it's already a 'shell'. The 'shell' is a terminal, such as bash, korn, csh... etc.

If you're asking how to allow remote access to the machine, you need the SSH daemon running and a user account for whomever needs access.

Link Copied to Clipboard