mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
kc0eks Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
been using irc for my downloading needs for a long time, though lately I have a new and very annoying problem. It seems like an exploit but I have been unable to find any info on it...so here goes
when using xdcc on any server, after a while my computer just turns off, and restarts..annoying as hell...
now i thought this may be mirc, so i dl'd the newest version, no luck..
also tried different clients, and they do it too...

any idea?
no error message, nothing in logs of any sort. I have my computer set to bluescreen on error, not reboot..dont knwo if that has anything to do with it.;

Thank YOu

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It's quite possibly a virus or trojan. I suggest you do several full system scans, using the resources in this thread. Also try closing all external programs before running mIRC.

Please note, mIRC is not a file trading program, it's a chat program. It'd be nice if you stopped abusing it smirk Furthermore, if this is happening in other IRC clients, it really isn't an mIRC bug. mIRC/Khaled is not the owner/creator of the DCC protocol.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
kc0eks Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
thanks for the reply,
I run several anti-whatever proggies, virue,adware etc, all updated and find nothing.
also, while I realise this isnt an MIRC bug, I thought maybe others may have experienced this and had a fix smile
as for abusing it, I dont see it like that..it has dcc, and its very useful smile

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
replace your PSU and then see if it still happens.
also, go to control panel, admin tools, event viewer, and look up anything with a red icon at the approx time of the reboot.

K
kc0eks Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
thanks for the reply,
in my log viewer i am seeing the pc recovering from a bugcheck, though it is useless to me and i cant decipher anything from it.
here it is:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x0241000e, 0x853e3e00). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100904-02.dmp.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
from a bit of research, all i can suggest is to make sure windows is patched up and uninstall any cd writing software you have installed (but thats a long shot).
Other than that i havn't seen any solutions, but try and do some tests on things like your RAM to see if its broken, and if all else fails, you might have to format and reinstall windows. If that still doesn't work, it HAS to be a hardware issue somewhere.

K
kc0eks Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
its an odd issue, im normally the one people run to for computer help...
tried a test out, ran mirc overnight with no dcc downloads, and no problems, so it has something to do with dcc...

Link Copied to Clipboard