Thanks for the reply, I am not that much interested in changes, I was documenting https://en.wikichip.org/mirc/identifiers/$play and was testing some things.
I then remembered this thread and still considered it an issue.

Quote:
I just tested this by running the command "//write -c test.txt test | play -as echo test.txt" in a query window and it displayed the text in the status window.

Yes, I get the same behavior. This behavior is not described in the help file, this behavior is not expected to me.
The help file says that -s execute command to the status window, -s alone does it correctly, -sb does it correctly, only -sa and -se are not doing it.
/play -sa is executing the alias passed because of the -a switch, it is not executing command in the file to the status window.

Right now when I read the help file, there is nothing saying that using -as together is something special. Which means that the only way to understand it (which is consistent accross all the switches) is "do what -a does and then do what -s does" but that's not the case.

That's my issue, the help file is misleading, it should state that -s when used with -a or -e will never execute a command from the source.
Now what I'm trying to understand is what -s was meant to do when using with -a or -e, I can figure it out by trying and observing but I'd rather get a word from you about it.
You don't seem to be that puzzled about this, which tells me the behavior is probably normal.

Quote:
The issue you describe with using "status window" enclosed in quotes was explained in my previous post.
Well the previous post explains that -a results in the alias being called with the window name as the first parameter, in this case mIRC cannot do anything but my previous post is not using -a, it's using -e, there is no alias being called from our input in this case, it's mIRC choosing what to display so I was thinking it could display the proper window's name in the line, even if technically that would not work, not sure how -e is handled but it's a bit different from -a.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel