Hi everyone. I've been banging my head on the wall for the past 4 or so hours trying to get a socket script to work. I'm really new to scripting, and working on my first chat bot. I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out so I can continue to work on this project.

I understand how sockets work, kind of. Like I said, I'm really new. I do a lot of website coding though, so it's not too different from PHP. I've spent quite a bit of time playing around with socket scripts (from tutorials I've read), but I can't get anything to work for me. Asking for help is usually my last resort, so I'm definitely "in a pickle" here.

All I really need is a socket script (as simple as possible please, so I can see what's going on) that will grab the text displayed on a web page of mine. The script should then output the text to the chat channel the bot is currently in ($chan, right?). That's it, nothing fancy.

The page I need to get text from is: http://www.d3sanc.com/db/manabot/index.php

User types !example -> script connects to web page -> gets the text that is displayed on the page -> outputs it to the chat channel for everybody to see.

So anytime somebody types !example the bot says "test" in chat. That's it.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by ManaPot; 15/12/12 09:57 PM.