i wouldn't think this is related to $submenu(), since $submenu() is just evaluated in a separate environment where $0 = 1 and $1 = begin, 1, 2, 3, ..., end, similar to (but slightly less complicated than) how $findfile()'s command parameter is evaluated with $1- = filename. see:

Code:
//tokenize 32 a b c | echo -a $submenu($iif($1 <= 10, a:b)) - $0 - $1-

so 10 popups are returned to $submenu(), $1 takes on a number of different values throughout, but these don't interfere with the values of $Ns in the caller. in cases where $submenu() isn't used, there is even less reason to believe it may be the culprit ;P

it looks as though Khaled has just chosen to stop collecting selected nicks after the first one, in the popup creation stage at least. my first thought was that it's a matter of efficiency, and that perhaps with the way popups have been implemented, it would involve a loop through all selected nicks for each and every line in nicklist popups. however, it seems this isn't the case, and that the selected nick is presently collected just once at the very beginning:

Code:
menu nicklist {
  Test $1:/
  Test $iif((1) sline # 2,):/
  Test $1:/
}

so i don't see why this would be a difficult change to make

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde