Originally Posted By: Mentality
If I remember correctly, your script was informing users when they were unbanned. We don't want you to do that, and you were asked a number of times to stop using it. You point blank refused, because you think you have a right to do what you want, just because certain other people have gotten away with using scripts. Apart from the fact that it's none of your business what other people do, the point is this: you were asked to stop doing something, you refused, you were banned. Welcome to IRC.

Bans have reasons. Unbans have reasons. I value them both.

Quite simply I believe everyone has the equal priviledge of knowing when they are unbanned from a channel they are not in. If the ban is removed, then they have every equal priviledge of joining if they want to. I do not consider this a distraction because it does not output publicly to the channel.

I also believe what goes on in private (such as in notice) is outside channel jurisdiction. I was once banned because I helped a user in p.m. rather than in the channel and foolishly let the channel know. That's another thing I forgot to add.

It is true that it is pretty meaningless to let someone on the blacklist (or ChanServ akick list) know that they are unbanned. But then, those bans don't need to be removed. People ban people for reasons. I hope people unban people for reasons as well. They should both be equally important.

-Neal.